NotebookTalk

lg Gram - Durability long term - Paint and screen (16Z90P)

extremecarver

Actualy the same channel has videos showing assembly too - maybe it was so hard because I didn't remove the SSDs. As for the display, I guess you really need panel and a new bezel. Then you should be fine. Never buy a new panel without also getting a new bezel. Old bezel won't do after being unglued.

• 3 months later...

So the next default appeared. The fan started rattling. Guess I have to buy a new fan too.

BTW - I noticed that if PCIe Link Power State Management is not set to lowest state, the Gram needs 3-4watts more - which means the fan kinda has to work all the time at least if connected to a 4k display. That's the default for plugged in state in Windows - so that's really a setting to change. It's much less a problem if using internal display however.

In General it's quite noticeable that the Iris XE gets pushed much harder if using 4K display. I was thinking about buying a 6K display used - but may think twice about it as maybe the Gram in that case really won't be silent anymore.

And I'm pretty sure those paint chips happen due to sweat. Now that I haven't used the gram in the heat it's all perfect after 3 months. When I got it new and worked often in the heat - at the front there had been the first chippings appearing. I'm pretty sure it wasn't defective. I really should have warrantied that paint chipping off when buying and when it first appeared in hindsight (would have given me a new keyboard too).

3 years in - I will upgrade once LG Gram with Lunar Lake gets some discounts. Lunar Lake finally looks like Intel pushing a really good processor aimed at sipping battery only and  will be produced at TSMC N3P node. So I guess it will mean OLED at 12-14 hours runtime or 24 hours runtime for LCD display versions. I really don't see the huge advantages of the current LG Grams except the brighter displays. If I upgrade in 1.5 years time my Gram will have served me very well.