NotebookTalk

Return of socketed / upgradeable CPUs and GPUs for laptops at Computex?

1610ftw

On 6/20/2024 at 4:07 AM, Mr. Fox said:

Nope. Not me.

As a dog returns to his own vomit, So a fool repeats his folly. (Proverbs 26:11)

I don't care for the taste of puke. Never have. I've never tasted dung before but I would imagine that's the rough equivalent of the disgusting notion buying a Snapdragon powered turdbook. 

Haha, never heard of that one 😄

Intel obviously wants to compete with Qualcomm in certain aspects like implementing next to zero upgradeability so Lunar Lake now supposedly comes with integrated memory - all in the name of AI and battery life I guess.

Apart from that I have for a number of weeks tried to make sense of all the new stuff that is coming out but have now given up as it is an utter waste of time to try and make sense of the lunacy that unfolds in the race for the next generation of CPUs and GPUs or combined chips.

From what I could gather before I stopped following the big AI love fest there seems to be a competition between AMD, Apple, Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm as to who can create the most deceptive and irrelevant charts for their new products while often not even telling us the most basic specs or release dates.

So I'll be back when I can see proper benchmarks that actually allow for comparisons to previous generations of hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Haha, never heard of that one 😄

Intel obviously wants to compete with Qualcomm in certain aspects like implementing next to zero upgradeability so Lunar Lake now supposedly comes with integrated memory - all in the name of AI and battery life I guess.

Apart from that I have for a number of weeks tried to make sense of all the new stuff that is coming out but have now given up as it is an utter waste of time to try and make sense of the lunacy that unfolds in the race for the next generation of CPUs and GPUs or combined chips.

From what I could gather before I stopped following the big AI love fest there seems to be a competition between AMD, Apple, Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm as to who can create the most deceptive and irrelevant charts for their new products while often not even telling us the most basic specs or release dates.

So I'll be back when I can see proper benchmarks that actually allow for comparisons to previous generations of hardware.

Yup, definitely. It is hard to find anything nice to say or a reason to show any of those imbeciles an ounce of respect. AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, Qualcomm, crApple, Micro$lop, Google, Meta... all effing idiots and I hope that they all suffer catastrophic financial losses and lose their fannies with their stupid AI crap.

• Haha 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

50 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yup, definitely. It is hard to find anything nice to say or a reason to show any of those imbeciles an ounce of respect. AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, Qualcomm, crApple, Micro$lop, Google, Meta... all effing idiots and I hope that they all suffer catastrophic financial losses and lose their fannies with their stupid AI crap.

I have very little respect for software that mainly tries to spy on me to show me ads or worse not to mention the trend to force upon me their "new and better" way of doing things. It is sad to see how things have developed in that area to a point where I consider software and apps by these big corporations as a lost cause and to be avoided if possible.

But I got to say that I still admire a lot of the hardware when it comes to pure performance but whom am I telling that as many of us have some more recent higher end computer hardware.

Everything else like the trend to absolve themselves of any responsibility when things go wrong, incredible price hikes, dubious performance claims, stonewalling right to repair and the trend to sell us iterations of the same as new and different etc. is not something I appreciate from these hardware manufacturers. The sad thing is that with everybody doing it there isn't one of those big 5 chip / hardware manufacturers that one could point to and say do it like they do as everybody tries hard to be a bad example even though they are doing it in different ways.

Even so from time to time a company like framework surfaces and they have a great concept and do things different. I wish them all the best but unfortunately it is not that easy to get excited about their stuff...

• Thanks 1