NotebookTalk

Looking for a new gaming laptop

After several days of trying different stuff on my alienware 17 R5 the 1070 is just gone. So I am out looking at a new travel gaming rig. Just haven't kept up with all the latest ones and don't know if any have any big known issues.

1) What is your budget?
900-2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
I did have a desktop replacement but average size one is fine. I travel for work alot but it will be in the hotel room for after work. So 15" up. If it's thicker and has better cooling that is fine as well. Could care less about battery life as my current laptop doesn't even have one.

3) In which country will you buying this notebook?
USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I have had a couple of bad experiences with HP. But you can get a lemon on anthing.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Yes

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Gaming (currently still Fallout 76. Fallout 4. Skyrim. Dishonored. ) I also watch videos/movies on this laptop and rarely even turn on the TV in a hotel room. I also sometimes do work reports and Time reports.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
It will mainly stay put once I get where I am going.

😎 Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
(currently still Fallout 76. Fallout 4. Skyrim. Dishonored. ) But there is no telling in the future I may want.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
0 plugged in most of the time. I have a extra toughbook I keep for in the field stuff.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebook you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I would like to see one in person. Drove over a hour to a best buy after work to find out they didn't have a single gaming laptop in stock even though online said they did.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
Windows
12) What ports do you require on your laptop? (ex. MiniDisplayPort or HDMI? Displayport or USB-C w/ DP?)
Would like video out incase I ever need it.
Screen Specifics

13) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? See further below for explanations.
Not overly picky on a screen either.

14) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? See further below for explanations.

Build Quality and Design

15) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No. Just want it to last. Could care less about lights on it.

Notebook Components

16) How much storage space do you need?
I would like more than one m.2 slot as I just purchased a second 1tb SSD for this alienware 17 and have yet to install it. So I can take two 1tb m.2 SSD's out of this machine. At least one more slot but two more storage slot options would be nice but not needed.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

17) When do you consider purchasing this laptop?
In the next couple of weeks. Even the local walmart here in the middle of Iowa doesn't have anything in stock. So site to store or even another completely different store is fine.

18) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
As long as it will last. I still have a fully working Alienware M11x and other older laptops.

19) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
I have a backup toughbook so not a big problem.

20) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
I usually build my own stuff and if home would just upgrade my travel desktop (in a Falcon Northwest tiki case) but being hours from the house and wanting a compact gaming solution I am looking at another laptop.

I don't think the 4050 would really have enough. I have mainly been looking at 4060 up and Have been told by a few people that some of the AMD offerings run hotter.

Toughbook CF-19Mk3, Mk5, Mk6, CF-31 Mk3, CF-U1 Mk1, Mk2.5, CF-52 Mk1 Hi, CF-28 Mk2, CF-29 Mk3, CF-07,

Alienware 17 R5 i7-8750H, GTX 1070, 16GB, 1TB HD ,256GB SSD

Voodoo Pc Envy M355, M360, U703, M780,

Desktop cases

Voodoo Hexx, Rage, Omen, Idol

Alienware Predator 2, Hanger 18

Falcon Northwest Tiki