NotebookTalk

LG Gram 17 2024 - touchscreen laptop.

Steerpike

I'm still happily using my LG Gram 11th gen with glossy screen, which I've posted about in this forum before, but I am finally running into limits of the 16 GB RAM.  I just saw this on the Costco website - (model 17Z90S-H.ADB9U1 )

LG gram 17" Touchscreen Intel EVO Edition Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 7-155H - WQXGA (2560 X 1600) - Windows 11 | Costco

$1,200, with 32 Gig RAM, 2TB SSD, and the usual 'other stuff'.  

I do notice that it is touchscreen, and that it weighs over 3 lbs (3.12 lbs, according to LG's website)  I don't want touchscreen, but i may be tempted to give it a try.  Has anyone seen the LG touchscreen implementation? It says the screen is 'non-reflective' but I wonder how it compares to the non-touch version? 

LG website: LG gram 17" Laptop - 17Z90S-H.ADB9U1 | LG USA  

Suffix 'S' = 14th Gen.  Any comments on 14th gen, overall? 

The 2TB is implemented as 2x1TB, which is not ideal; I would end up pulling 1 TB and replacing it with a 2TB stick I guess. 

9 hours ago, RS4 said:

Thanks for that link.  I'm already happy with the performance of my 2021 (P designation) Gram 17, so I'm sure this 2024 (S) will be good enough.  My biggest concern with my current model is the 'palm rejection' is only so-so - I'm often finding the cursor getting relocated if I move my hands away and back. Well, I guess also, I had to disable many of the gestures early on (pinch to zoom, two-finger right-click, etc) because it could not distinguish gestures - so I would be curious to see if this model is any better. 

I really wish they had reviewed the touch-screen model; I'm really curious to know how the screen looks. I'll probably click 'buy' soon to get the $400 off, before it goes back up in price ... 

On 8/21/2024 at 6:23 AM, Steerpike said:

Thanks for that link.  I'm already happy with the performance of my 2021 (P designation) Gram 17, so I'm sure this 2024 (S) will be good enough.  My biggest concern with my current model is the 'palm rejection' is only so-so - I'm often finding the cursor getting relocated if I move my hands away and back. Well, I guess also, I had to disable many of the gestures early on (pinch to zoom, two-finger right-click, etc) because it could not distinguish gestures - so I would be curious to see if this model is any better. 

I really wish they had reviewed the touch-screen model; I'm really curious to know how the screen looks. I'll probably click 'buy' soon to get the $400 off, before it goes back up in price ... 

I have no problems with touchpad gestures on the 2021 Gram, use the gestures daily and they always work fine. Hopefully the new version works fine for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2024 at 1:51 AM, Steerpike said:

The 2TB is implemented as 2x1TB, which is not ideal; I would end up pulling 1 TB and replacing it with a 2TB stick I guess.

I'm now up to 4TB (2 + 2) in my 2022 Gram 17. That's the benefit in having two SSD slots (although, if you have a dGPU then the 2nd SSD has fewer lanes in it's bus and is slower). This Gram 17 has 32GB RAM as I felt that 16GB was hindering performance at times and I stumbled on the 32GB version in Amazon Warehouse with pricing appropriate to the 16GB version so I grabbed it. At the moment I see no need to replace it with something newer.