NotebookTalk

New product database wiki

Hey everyone. So @JoeGo over at perfectrec and his team have, among other services, started up a wiki for product information, and it's starting with laptops (with plans to expand to other devices in the future). It's called Prodwiki

This aims to do things like list possible configurations (including CPUs, GPUs, screens, max RAM amounts, etc) and other often-hard-to-find information about pretty much every laptop we can find, going back a few years to the present and moving onward from now. We're looking to expand and more fill out each page with corrections and whatnot, with each page being pre-written with AI using official data sources/parts for sale/etc as an input. Of course they won't be perfect, which is where we are looking for people to help with corrections or contributions and whatnot.

I know many people here know their units very well and so I figured it'd be a nice idea to find out if you all would like to join the community for it, and help out with any contributions. Of course, if you need to know anything, or have any questions, you can ask Joe about it or their plans, or give feedback and whatnot. We also have a discord server here you can join for more real-time discussions and input.

Even though most of you moved onto desktops I'm sure you all still keep up with modern units to a degree, so it would be nice if you all want to join! We're trying to expand the community to properly start up and as someone helping them out I figured asking here would be a solid idea.

• Thumb Up 1

I have a desktop now!

i5-13600K @ 5.2GHz || ASUS Strix Z690-F || RTX 3080 FE 10GB (+175MHz/+1100MHz daily driver) || 32GB 6000MHz 38-38-38-77 || AK620 CPU cooler || XV272U V 1440p 170Hz || Fractal Design Pop Air || WD Black SN850X 2TB

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, cdoublejj said:

is there a process for getting models added?

If you wanted, you could add the entire page yourself, but in general we use official information like manufacturer pages and stuff and use AI to fill out the page like a template based on a thoroughly by-hand finished page we have. 

After that point, the objective is for volunteers/owners/etc to edit the pages and fix any little incorrect info we find.

For example if a unit sells with a CPU that isn't listed on its page, we add that by hand. But the meat of the page will already be done.

I have a desktop now!

i5-13600K @ 5.2GHz || ASUS Strix Z690-F || RTX 3080 FE 10GB (+175MHz/+1100MHz daily driver) || 32GB 6000MHz 38-38-38-77 || AK620 CPU cooler || XV272U V 1440p 170Hz || Fractal Design Pop Air || WD Black SN850X 2TB