NotebookTalk

Wondering if I can run dual 2070 supers in a connected setup?

kojack

I am thinking about swapping to a new motherboard so I can run the fractal case. I have a 2070 super now and thinking if I connected a second one to it I would have decent bump in power for encoding etc. I am wondering if this would be the case? 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

On 12/25/2022 at 5:29 AM, kojack said:

I am thinking about swapping to a new motherboard so I can run the fractal case. I have a 2070 super now and thinking if I connected a second one to it I would have decent bump in power for encoding etc. I am wondering if this would be the case? 

If your software supports it then sure. But normally it's always better to go to single fastest gpu solution.

• Thumb Up 1

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

More Laps: M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)

DT: Aurora R4 (i9 10980XE/RTX 4070) | Area-51 R2 (22-Core Xeon/2x Titan V) | SR-2 [2x6-Core/3x980Ti] | Mac Studio

CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

6 hours ago, ssj92 said:

If your software supports it then sure. But normally it's always better to go to single fastest gpu solution.

I agree for gaming, but for video work dual is a different situation. Add in the fact I can get a 2070 super like I have currently for less than half the cost of a 3090ti It would be a great cost effective upgrade. My son is taking to creating stuff on his old computer and it's slow, so I am thinking about getting the parts I need for now, swap into the new case for me, and then using the left overs for him and build him a medium performance desktop out of my xps.  Thanks for the information.  Now, I have to figure out what I want to do...The Fractal North case is calling my name.....BAD!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

its really cool hearing about your son. you must love him alot, your always doing something with him in mind! great dad you are @kojack..NBT appreciates you

• Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yes we do love him, and our other son as well.  He is 25 and living his own life now and doing great.  My youngest will be with us forever, and we make sure he's living his best life.  

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

Make sure your software supports multiple GPUs. For rendering you get linear scaling in performance, as I imagine would be the case in most cases where the software supports multiple GPUs, certainly in the case of encoding. Getting a single most powerful GPU is not necessary cost or even energy effective (if that's a concern). BTW the additional GPUs don't need to be of the same type: you can grab yourself an Ampere bargain - just make sure you don't buy one of the newer castrated variants Nvidia released without changing model designation.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure resolve supports multiple Gpus as Puget sells resolve systems with dual and triple gpu setups.  I think my 2070 super in my dell now supports (sli) or whatever it is.  So, I should be good if I grab a second just like that one. I think they go for cheaper since they are pulled from dell systems. I will be looking more into this in the next month as I have some new assignments where I will be doing more content creation.  I just hooked one with a major Fujifilm source so I have to start in now. Once rolling if I feel I need a bit of extra ommmppph from my system, I will get the dual gpu, and asus board setup and forward my son his new Dell XPS! 

On a somewhat unrelated question, Have you seen or heard of an eGpu enclosure that also has space for a HDD?  I think for when we are travelling I may load one into the camper and have it there for when we are creating while mobile.