NotebookTalk

UE5.1 A game changer

ryan

So now we have nanite being used on foliage, this is a pretty big deal as many games have foliage. check out this video

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 4:26 AM, ryan said:

check out this, nothing comes close to this

This is dope. The consistency still looks off but it's very impressive. Can't wait to see what improvements will be iterated in 5-10 years.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

yeah I was blown away when I first saw it, I heard its using a form of pre rendered trickery but who cares if it looks this impressive. would be nice if UE5.1 was the engine used for GTA VI. and with water physics like above video. 

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

7 hours ago, ryan said:

yeah I was blown away when I first saw it, I heard its using a form of pre rendered trickery but who cares if it looks this impressive. would be nice if UE5.1 was the engine used for GTA VI. and with water physics like above video. 

It's definitely real time. I just think the physicality of the water is still not quite realistic. It looks a little like gelatin, I think that's just because of the "granularity" they can achieve with the simulation where it's not at the scale of atoms obviously. Too much math. What is there is very impressive though, just need more computation capability.

It's also something very different to create a demo like this versus implementing it in a functioning and playable game with all the other systems existing. Remains to be seen where it will get implemented. Might just be a factor of how important is it to the gameplay versus the existing tricks that are probably use much less system resources. If the water is just environment dressing it might not be worth it. If it actually has some important gameplay impact they might do it. You could really say the same thing about RT, it looks fantastic and also makes engineering/art easier since you are not spending time baking out fake lighting and things "just work".  I think we may see it in the next 5-10 years for sure if it's this far along already.

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

Your the expert. I completely agree, I think we will see something similar in the near future. I was not very impressed with 20 years of minor advancement each year in small barely noticeable increments.  With unreal 5.1 here I think it's an exciting time to be a gamer

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

I guess 5.2 is now out, looks good. Guy claims its like real life, looks good at any rate

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

little update ue 5.3 is out now. I'm thinking by the time they use Unreal engine 5 it will be completely photo realistic, and fluid as water. finally only took 30 years

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled