NotebookTalk

2023 LG Gram

Bullit

• 1 month later...

Almost all the new 2023 Grams are now on LG.com. The LG Gram style is too much form over function and the OLED screen kills the battery, it shows in the specs almost half the battery of the normal Grams.

I think I might go for the RTX3050 version, better variable refresh rate and the best battery.

19 hours ago, skipper said:

I think I might go for the RTX3050 version, better variable refresh rate and the best battery.

I would be more interested in the dGPU version if it means that the dual fans reduce the overall fan noise when the dGPU isn't used. However, this noise problem isn't enough to get me thinking about going shopping should the RTX3050 be released for the UK market. At the moment it's listed on Amazon UK but sold by Amazon US. Maybe in a couple of years there will be enough other improvements (eg better CPU efficiency) to justify an upgrade.

I'm a little surprised that the OLED panel uses so much power. My 2021 13" Galaxy Book Pro has an FHD AMOLED panel and very good battery life. However, a 17" panel has 70% bigger area to illuminate than 13". More important, under my usage conditions, there's no obvious difference between the AMOLED panel and LG's very good IPS (or similar) LCD panel. The little Samsung is also much quieter than my Gram 17.

Of course you do not have to update every year. The 12th gen processor is more than double fast (in theory, actual cooling mitigates the improvement), you have 32gigs RAM and matte display. For me if I end up upgrading from the 2021 model I would go for the RTX version for thee reasons I mentioned.

2 hours ago, skipper said:

The 12th gen processor is more than double fast (in theory, actual cooling mitigates the improvement).

I've not really noticed the potential speed boost because LG failed to upgrade the cooling system and, instead, put relatively low power limits on the CPU so any speed boost is short duration. I could fiddle with the power limits in the advanced BIOS settings but I'd then get even more fan noise.

• 4 months later...

I presume by '2023' model, we mean 13th gen processors.   I just saw the 13th gen LG Gram 17 at my local Costco discounted to $899, which is pretty amazing. It's 'only' 16 Gig RAM, 512 SSD, but still a great price.  Model 17ZB90R. Processor is i7-1360P.  I love my 11th Gen Gram 17, but the matt screen does appeal ... 

image.thumb.png.5de480b42ba26f598aaa58980e249e20.png

On 8/19/2023 at 6:58 PM, Steerpike said:

I presume by '2023' model, we mean 13th gen processors.   I just saw the 13th gen LG Gram 17 at my local Costco discounted to $899, which is pretty amazing. It's 'only' 16 Gig RAM, 512 SSD, but still a great price.  Model 17ZB90R.

Yes, model codes ending with R indicate the current (2023) versions. The glossy screen is OK until you've seen the non-glare version. Personally, the improvement which would have me reaching for my credit card is a better cooling system but there's no sign of a UK version. I hope LG will sweep aside the sub-3lb weight target in future and give all the 17" models better cooling hardware.

• 3 weeks later...