NotebookTalk

Just bought two 10th gen iPads. Really good tablets, and actually notebook replacements for general work.

kojack

So, my wife and I were deep in discussion the other evening about just having everything work together technologically for our family. We are both fed up with stuff not working together so we decided on going to apple for our tech...YAH I KNOW!  I fought with this for years, hoping, just hoping we would get something to tie our iOS deivces to windows.  I am tired of waiting....So, the transformation has started. I went and bought two 256gb iPad 10th gens for us. I don't do any heavy lifting on tablets so the base 10th gens are perfect for us. 

I am using mine as a content consumption device, and she is using hers as a notebook replacement. I have 2 Logitech keyboard setups coming for them that actually use the apple connection on the iPad for the keyboard to work. Better than Bluetooth IMO. I started trying stuff with the ipad and connected my USB C dock to the tablet, and put my Logitech receiver in it for the mouse.  Bam....worked right away.  Then I pluged in a DP cable and bam...worked right away.  So, she can use her ipad as a complete computer replacement for doing things like basic word processing, excel, web surfing and doing graphic design for our businesses. It's much faster than her dell 2 in 1 we bought a few years ago, and the screen is the same size but much clearer. 

I am very impressed with the new iPads. Plus, they just work when we need them to. OMG I just said the magic fanboy words "it just works".  I am going to off myself now...have a great day people!🤪

• Haha 1
  • Bump 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• 1 month later...

I was a hair away from buying a 8th gen ipad but passed as I dont really use tablets for anything. I have my cell phone and laptops so im good there but im glad your enjoying your new toys

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

We recently added a second base config 9th-gen iPad because Best Buy had them on sale for $250. My kid uses the older one for some games and talking to his friends on Facebook Messenger. My wife got the new one for content consumption. They work exactly as described. Only thing I wish for is faster charging but such is the way with a device that still uses the Lightning port.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Yes, the lightning port is slow A?F.  We are going to St. John's this weekend to visit our son who lives out there.  I am going to best buy, and getting the Logitech keyboard with trackpad for it.  Should make the creating side of things much better. I HATE typing on screen. I will use my iPad much more and probably put my laptop into it's messenger bag, or on my writing desk and keep my ipad out on the sofa to Shoot the Poop on here etc.  All in all though, it's a decent experience.  I am starting to enjoy android more now too. I have a Motorola phone, and Samsung android tablet and both perform fine as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

No, My last ipad was a 6th gen. So a 9th gen with a slightly slower processor ha ha.  The 10th gen is a great iPad. It's a slippery devil though so a case is a must. I bought the Logitech keyboard for it as well. Makes it a better productivity tool, but does not hold a candle in any way to my windows systems.  I recommend one though for content consumption and basic use.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Lenovo M10  Tab Plus 3 Gen( gosh these guys make it difficult...)  for 200 euro and have been good for general work. 500 nits screen 4Gb ram /128Gb storage. I can go to the balcony with it comfortable as long in not direct sunlight, something i can't do with HP office laptop which have a s... screen.

This is one of the advantages with tablets i am seeing, to have a screen with same quality in a laptop you have to go around 1000 euro.

I also like to be at coffee table or in a sofa with it, it is a no frills device. But some Android apps still have work to do- i am looking at you Microsoft One Note. 

• Thumb Up 2

I thought OneNote on my Motorola phone was quite good. Funny how other people view apps. I just got my son a new 9th gen iPad to replace his 6th gen.  It's quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be. He's enjoying that as well. 

• Thumb Up 1

Wow, I will fire mine up on my tablet and see what gives.  I don't use tables and stuff in onenote, but I will try to see if I can add it.  Report back.  I will also try it on my iPad too!

• Thumb Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

@kojack I'm thinking of buying a 10th gen iPad or a used 256gb Samsung tab s7 plus both are 500. Do you know anything about them and how they compare or perhaps a youtube video

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I own the 10th gen but I have not used the tab s7. I do have an A8 Samsung tablet. while, a great budget device it does not hold a candle to the ipad. With regards to tablets, ipad is more or less the best you can get. The only issue I have with my 10th gen is the wonky way you have to pair your pencil. You have to purchase a dongle/adapter, not included with the pencil or tablet.  Other than that it's been really great. I have mine de'appled for the most part and use Microsoft for all my productivity software. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Updates on One Note for Android

I can now make math ops - at least sum - in One Note Tables cells.   4+5= press enter and it appears result. You can't replace any number, it do not update, you need to erase everything and do the whole operation again.

Adding another row is with Enter in first left cell in row below where you want the new row to appear, there is no other way i have found.

There is way to add background color to a word but i was only able to give it yellow. No other color i managed.

Edit: forgot, to add a column it is with the tab

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1

• 7 months later...

Update on the iPads. My wife has moved hers on.  She didn't use it or like it. I am going to move mine on as well. We are waiting until the new Surface devices with arm are released and grabbing two of those. I don't like any OS besides windows so having my tablet run windows will be refreshing. Plus, with bluestacks, it's an android tablet anyways. 

I run stacks on my dell and it works great. Once you turn off all the ad crap for games I don't play, it functions just as my Samsung tablet does. Too bad MS never got on board with Google and used subsystem correctly.