NotebookTalk

CF-31 without battery? OEM vs Knockoff?

thewanderlustking

Really do I have to be the one to pop the first question thread in here lol?!

I was going to ask this over on NBR, but I actualy bought a battery so I have time now to burn... 

So I know these can be used without a battery, but I am in s less than ideal automotive environment utilizing inverters/converters and a battery acts like a capacitor soaking up "noise".  This is a Toughbook, so probably better than most, but should I wait until my battery pack arrives and avoid using this laptop in my RV without a pack?  I have a genuine Panasonic power adapter, so that also helps soak up the noise.  

I would not use or recommend a generic power adapter.  But what about generic batteries?  Do they still work with Panny battery calibration and health reports?

I grabbed what appears to be a new genuine Panasonic battery, for $19.  I am a bit scheptical, but we shall see.  

I do not see any issues with generic batteries as long as the pass the safety rating for your area or country.  That seems rather cheap even for a generic battery.  I use mostly generic and a few oem chargers.  I honestly cannot see any difference.  I have not tested them on a scope but the motherboard circuit will take care of it.  My newer utrabook i bought a oem charger for it since i senses the knockoff ones though and gives a warning but they still work.  one thing i really like about panasonic is they keep the same charger and port for every model i have seen so far

Just a tidbit of info.  I bought a few cf-s10 recently and when installing windows i get a red warning screen.  battery needs to be checked, there was a recall. It installed a updated firmware on the battery.  This happened on my cf-c2 also last year.  There are a few oem battery models that caught fire when charging.....

I got him to send me a picture of it, It's looks to be a Panasonic battery but maybe for a different market than the USA one originally.

Toughbook CF-19Mk3, Mk5, Mk6, CF-31 Mk3, CF-U1 Mk1, Mk2.5, CF-52 Mk1 Hi, CF-28 Mk2, CF-29 Mk3, CF-07,

Alienware 17 R5 i7-8750H, GTX 1070, 16GB, 1TB HD ,256GB SSD

Voodoo Pc Envy M355, M360, U703, M780,

Desktop cases

Voodoo Hexx, Rage, Omen, Idol

Alienware Predator 2, Hanger 18

Falcon Northwest Tiki

I still have some CF-18 (single core machines) batteries I use in my CF-19's. Some of them were 5 to 7 hour batteries when new, but seem to hold 3 to 2 hours for a long time before they degrade any further. That is why I always have some kind of toughbook with me, just incase.

Toughbook CF-19Mk3, Mk5, Mk6, CF-31 Mk3, CF-U1 Mk1, Mk2.5, CF-52 Mk1 Hi, CF-28 Mk2, CF-29 Mk3, CF-07,

Alienware 17 R5 i7-8750H, GTX 1070, 16GB, 1TB HD ,256GB SSD

Voodoo Pc Envy M355, M360, U703, M780,

Desktop cases

Voodoo Hexx, Rage, Omen, Idol

Alienware Predator 2, Hanger 18

Falcon Northwest Tiki