NotebookTalk

14 inch light non-gaming

At the moment i have an xps 15 from 7 years ago and it's starting to fail. I want something a bit smaller and lighter, 14 inches. I don't game so i don't want a laptop with a dgpu any more. I'm assuming any laptop these days can handle things like streaming/youtube and productivity work? I'm looking for something that is very light and quiet, it doesn't need to be very powerful but it shouldn't lag doing these things. I don't want something with a garbage screen and touchpad. I'll have it plugged into the TV via HDMI as a second screen so i don't care about the speakers as i use the TV's.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
600-800ish - i would prefer less if possible, i don't know how much laptops cost these days with my requirements. I have the budget to go higher if i really need to.
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
14 inch

3) In which country will you buying this notebook?
UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
yes

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
no gaming or anything graphic intensive, just streaming, productivity stuff

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
both
😎 Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
no
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
not too important but i expect long a laptop without a graphics processor would have decent battery life anyway

10) Would you prefer to see the notebook you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
windows
12) What ports do you require on your laptop? (ex. MiniDisplayPort or HDMI? Displayport or USB-C w/ DP?)
hdmi

Screen Specifics

13) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? See further below for explanations.
 1080p is fine

14) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? See further below for explanations.
either 
Build Quality and Design

15) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
no
Notebook Components

16) How much storage space do you need?
512 is fine
Timing, Warranty and Longevity

17) When do you consider purchasing this laptop?
now
18) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
1-2 years
19) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
i don't care about this as i'll have a backup
20) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
no

Thank you.

There are a bunch of Lenovo IdeaPad options in that screen size that should fit within your budget.

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

you mention not wanting a garbage screen and decent performance.

check out the asus zenbook 14 oled its around your budget and has thunderbolt 4 if you change your mind on gaming down the line.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

Dell inspiron 14 would be my choice.  I own the 2 in 1 version and have nothing but good to say about it. Fully upgradeable, keyboard is really good for typing, screen is really nice, it's fast.  I do photo/video and graphic editing on it as well as the normal consumption stuff.  I also write for various clients as well.  This laptop powers through it all.  Ripping video, it's a bit slow but nothing that would keep me from not using it. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

If you want something really light then look at the Samsung Galaxy Book family or the LG Gram. They may not offer 14" but their 15" models are lighter than other 14" notebooks and have decent battery life. The older models have come down in price while the new models don't offer significant improvements. While they may not appear to be sturdy they seem to be fairly durable. I've got a 13" Samsung which came from Curry's outlet on ebay and a Gram 17 from Amazon Warehouse. Both appeared to have been unused.

• Thumb Up 1

I forgot about the lg gram 15. It's not 14in but like John mentioned it's lighter. I'd take a strong look at the gram as I give another thumbs up. I'd like to add if you go .7 inches smaller a XPS 13 might just rub your itch. Alot of refurbished 13s around 400 bones

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled