NotebookTalk

Best ways to get windows 11 to look (and the interface to function efficiently) like Windows 10?

SapphiraTriX298

So I have just started using windows 11 for the first time while testing some new notebooks, and overall I prefer the layout and efficiency of Windows 10 (with 7 style built-in implementations) over 11.

11 seems to look prettier but having to make extra clicks or typing to get to things

Couple things I am looking for

- Traditional start menu

- Quick launch bar

- Ability to not-combine labels for faster switching and visible title content of each active tab in each browser

- Small icon on task bar to shrink overall size of task bar

- Traditional right-click menu without icons and all the options, rather

- This PC (cannot be locked to the task bar?) so I have to click folder, then click this PC in order to jump to that menu.

- Rich text documents?

I haven't seen many complaints about these, so maybe I just don't know how to access them, or I am one of the last hold outs to use them.

I have seen a couple of applications to mimic the function, but is this all unavailable in Windows 11?

Again I have not used 11 enough to rate it overall, but it seems like it is supposed to look more like Mac OS, looses some functionality.

• Thumb Up 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, SapphiraTriX298 said:

So I have just started using windows 11 for the first time while testing some new notebooks, and overall I prefer the layout and efficiency of Windows 10 (with 7 style built-in implementations) over 11.

11 seems to look prettier but having to make extra clicks or typing to get to things

Couple things I am looking for

- Traditional start menu

- Quick launch bar

- Ability to not-combine labels for faster switching and visible title content of each active tab in each browser

- Small icon on task bar to shrink overall size of task bar

- Traditional right-click menu without icons and all the options, rather

- This PC (cannot be locked to the task bar?) so I have to click folder, then click this PC in order to jump to that menu.

- Rich text documents?

I haven't seen many complaints about these, so maybe I just don't know how to access them, or I am one of the last hold outs to use them.

I have seen a couple of applications to mimic the function, but is this all unavailable in Windows 11?

Again I have not used 11 enough to rate it overall, but it seems like it is supposed to look more like Mac OS, looses some functionality.

i also tried windows 11 for 2 days..

os seemed like slower but on games i found it more smooth.

i also hate to unzip with 7zip i need to click more. the copy paste was a bit confusing..

i could not fins powershell and powershell ise as in win 10 when you click the windows icon.

now am back at win 10.. but i think we both have the same toughts on windows 11.. i see someone mentioned to get start is back.. so i might give it a try later. am on unsuppoerted CPU.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

@MyPC8MyBrain not everyone benches and need the 1 MHz more performance. The question is how do I get a windows 7 experience out of windows 11. The easiest way is startisback two clicks and it converts most major and some minor windows settings to windows 7 look and functionality. People don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking. People have jobs. Businesses and lives.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 3 months later...

id like too say I tried a debloated windows 10 and had my processes down below 40 running after start up was finished, and there was no difference in benchmarks or performance in opening apps. its nice to say you have 40 processes but their is no reason to spend hours attaining it. want it go for it. but for the average user its utterly pointless unless you think a company or group is spying on you.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/19/2023 at 12:26 AM, ryan said:

id like too say I tried a debloated windows 10 and had my processes down below 40 running after start up was finished, and there was no difference in benchmarks or performance in opening apps. its nice to say you have 40 processes but their is no reason to spend hours attaining it. want it go for it. but for the average user its utterly pointless unless you think a company or group is spying on you.

if you have a powerfull or new CPU then its not woth it.  i can tell you that i clean install regularly in fact am about to do that now... and running stock default settinggs no tweaks for me my PC runs better after i go thru all the tweaks.  yes it takes me hours to do but worth it if i can gain as much performance out of my CPU.

• Thumb Up 2

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

Agreed @ryan. All this debloat this, and change that does nothing to the function of your pc,  It only changes the thoughts inside your head that make you think microsoft is spying on you for some nefarious reason.  I used to change all this crap and remove "junk" from windows thinking it works faster and better, but it's all a farce. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

On 7/23/2023 at 3:14 PM, raptorddd said:

if you have a powerfull or new CPU then its not woth it.  i can tell you that i clean install regularly in fact am about to do that now... and running stock default settinggs no tweaks for me my PC runs better after i go thru all the tweaks.  yes it takes me hours to do but worth it if i can gain as much performance out of my CPU.

This

Despite the fact that Windows 10/11 already comes with a lot crapware with it even with a clean install. Getting rid most of it only decrease some RAM usage and gains some storage space, Dont expect it to increase CPU performance whatsoever. I'll still recommend using programs like O&O ShutUp10++ and others that helps disable the spyware/telemetry and other pointless features without breaking anything.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

yeah it just seems crazy ( nut job)  crazy which ironically im technically a crazy person and if I think somethings crazy I don't really know how crazy crazy can be. crazy. oh yeah did I mention crazy, might have forgot to add that in. I spent 2 days tweaking the windows 10 core using highly regarded tweaks, then all excited I ran a cinebench run!

results 12300 vs 13000 for stock windows 10. why on earth would I remove apps and programs if it slows down overall performance. I have tried every tweak known to man and sometimes just lowering the settings is the best windows tweak. what are you doing on your computer if the upmost importance is to guard your activities. like I could suggest illegal or unsavory pictures. or legit the CIA is spying on you because you belong to an elite hacker gang that steals billions of dollars and just happens to spend spare time talking about how bloated windows is..lol

personally i'd be on a yacht

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/25/2023 at 4:41 PM, ryan said:

yeah it just seems crazy ( nut job)  crazy which ironically im technically a crazy person and if I think somethings crazy I don't really know how crazy crazy can be. crazy. oh yeah did I mention crazy, might have forgot to add that in. I spent 2 days tweaking the windows 10 core using highly regarded tweaks, then all excited I ran a cinebench run!

results 12300 vs 13000 for stock windows 10. why on earth would I remove apps and programs if it slows down overall performance. I have tried every tweak known to man and sometimes just lowering the settings is the best windows tweak. what are you doing on your computer if the upmost importance is to guard your activities. like I could suggest illegal or unsavory pictures. or legit the CIA is spying on you because you belong to an elite hacker gang that steals billions of dollars and just happens to spend spare time talking about how bloated windows is..lol

personally i'd be on a yacht

700 more poiints.. its very worth it. for me it takes about 5 hours of tweaking.  yeah call me crazy.LOL  i only have 2nd gen CPU.

• Bump 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

• 2 weeks later...

its all good. all kidding aside I tweaked both of my computers, and going from stock to tweaked with an igpu i went from 12000 in cloudgate to 24000 basically 100 percent increase in performance and double the framerates in games. on my gaming laptop i saw no gains

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, raptorddd said:

700 more poiints.. its very worth it. for me it takes about 5 hours of tweaking.  yeah call me crazy.LOL  i only have 2nd gen CPU.

I think he was getting better performance from the stock setup vs. the canoodled screwed up version. 

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses