NotebookTalk

System Shock Remake

cucubits

I'm hoping there are at least a few of you closer to my age around here who remember the original System Shock. It was unlike anything at that time. Fans of fps - space - futuristic - survival - horror like games are the intended audience.

Random browsing of upcoming games got me to it now, haven't even seen a trailer but I lowkey knew about this. As of now, it's planned to come out in exactly one month from now (May 30). Very excited!

image.thumb.png.7123e7084d32495d708d8816b3ad5c19.png

• Thumb Up 1

Whoa, I made a booboo. I completely mixed this up with System Shock 2. I've never actually played the original System Shock 1 which what this remake is about. My mind was on System Shock 2, with the story on the space ship. 

Either way, this should be even more interesting and new then 🙂 Fingers crossed it's good. I really don't know anything about System Shock 1

• Thumb Up 1

That was an amazing game from Origin/Looking Glass, one of the best studios at the time. The bar is very high, I hope "Nightdive Studios" are up to the challenge. Production value looks low, they went for a cartoony "retro style" resembling the original 256 colour VGA graphics, not ideal IMHO.

Edit: looks like this is more of a remaster, one of a few, and actually a large step back from a similar 2017 version:

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

8 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Edit: looks like this is more of a remaster, one of a few, and actually a large step back from a similar 2017 version:

Indeed. I recall SS2 had quite an anxious horror feeling like to it. Nothing like what I get from the oversaturated colors I see in the current videos.

The 2017 one does look closer to what I would have imagined. Not sure what's going on, maybe same as Dying Light 2 getting much less scary than Dying Light 1, for example? Is there some data that suggests the current playerbase cannot take scarier games anymore? 

• Thumb Up 1

I mean it would be good for someone to make a AAA remake of this, however, failing that if people want to take it to powerful AIs they can do so in real life these days (the primary targets being Microsoft and Google at the moment).

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

2 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

I mean it would be good for someone to make a AAA remake of this, however, failing that if people want to take it to powerful AIs they can do so in real life these days (the primary targets being Microsoft and Google at the moment).

That's true. The way things are going, it's only a matter of time until we'll be able ask an AI to "re-write that game in that engine" and bam, it's done.

15 minutes ago, cucubits said:

That's true. The way things are going, it's only a matter of time until we'll be able ask an AI to "re-write that game in that engine" and bam, it's done.

One AI reaches that level of capability (luckily it's not remotely there at the moment, it can "only" solve much smaller and simpler problems), we are done as species. We have 5-20 years to save ourselves from being deprecated - according to Geoffrey Hinton, one of the fathers of modern AI. Sounds like a reasonable timeframe to me, although I would bet on the shorter end just to be safe. No doubt we are quickly approaching the most precarious time in our history.

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

• 4 weeks later...

So is anyone else playing this since yesterday's release?

I spent about an hour or so last night with it. It's fun so far. I like the puzzles and that it's not necessarily linear. The level design does bring back memories from the 90s when the games actually had some thought behind this and not just go forward with full handholding like we do nowadays. 

I also have to say that I wish there was a way to turn down saturation a bit... feels overly colorful and takes away from the scary/horror elements they were going for.

Also, I don't want to look at guides, but how da hec do I get passed the puzzle where you have 4 wires with plugs you can pull and only 3 holes to put them in. I found the combination that all the lights on the bottom are on but nothing happens. This is in the room where if I drop down to the section below, it's full of radiation, and a switch which apparently is not working and should bring up a bridge to the next section...

I kickstarted it, have only played the demos that were released so far. Unfortunately they released it at the same time as D4.. hah

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

55 minutes ago, hfm said:

I kickstarted it, have only played the demos that were released so far. Unfortunately they released it at the same time as D4.. hah

Oh yeah, D4 is almost here... as much as I loved D2, I think I'll wait this time for a bit longer and not buy it right away... we'll see. 

• Thumb Up 1

D4 *IS* here... been playing it all weekend so far

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

2 hours ago, hfm said:

D4 *IS* here... been playing it all weekend so far

Not to the masses, only those who paid for the deluxe/ultimate editions.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 6/3/2023 at 9:20 PM, saturnotaku said:

Not to the masses, only those who paid for the deluxe/ultimate editions.

Last I checked anyone could buy it. It's not like it was walled off, just had to pay for it. hah

• Thumb Up 1