NotebookTalk

Dell XPS 8940 PSU upgrade? Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

kojack

I was doing some reading and found this power supply and converter cord for my XPS.  Think it would work?

The PSU unit.

TX700 Gold (silverstonetek.com) 

The converter cable

Amazon.com: COMeap 24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX PSU Power Adapter Cable for Dell Motherboard with 6 Pin Port 13.3-inch(34cm) : Electronics

It's the same size, and I am thinking about putting a newer video card in to be able to run macOS hack.  I am planning on using either the 6800 xt or 7900 xtx if there is opencore drivers available for it. 

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Silverstone products are generally decent. It may not be adequate for a GPU of that caliber. Unless you downgrade the GPU you will probably need three of these. The info in the description seems to conflict with the chart. It has either one or two.

• Single PCI-E 6+2pin connectors support
  • tx700-g-9.jpg
  •  

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

6800xt it is. I have the 2070 super in there now. I am thinking of moving to Radeon for a card so I can run macOS when I want.  I cannot hackintosh my dell on a dual boot now because of the card. 6800 is the highest performing card that is officially working with macos. I will think about this some more and see which direction I will go. 

• Thumb Up 1

I checked on the big store in the sky, and the PSU is 337.  The connector cable is 23.99.  That could be just what I am looking for to upgrade my GPU!

• 2 weeks later...

What about this?  Think I could get the PSU out of this system, and install in mine? 

Dell XPS Desktop - Computer Desktops | Dell Canada  They have a 1000w PSU in the xps tower now with the 13th gen intel and 4090 gpu.