NotebookTalk

Looking at this mini PC for my wife for her office.

kojack

I am looking at the following mini system for the wife. She won't be doing anything graphics intensive so I think this would be ideal to keep her office clean of a big box.  I am also getting her the 27 inch MSI white monitor and white desk arm for the monitor.  Your thoughts on this little system?

MINISFORUM TH80 Mini PC 11th Gen Core i7-11800H Micro Computer, DDR4 16GB RAM + 512GB PCIe SSD, HDMI/DP/USB-C(4K@60Hz) Outputs, 2.5G LAN, 5X USB3.2, Intel UHD Graphics Small Form Factor : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Cramming that much CPU into a form factor smaller than a laptop is going to result in more heat and fan noise, especially for one of those 11th-gen Intel CPUs. If she's not going to be doing anything intensive, a similar machine with a low-power U- or N-series processor would be better.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

14 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

Cramming that much CPU into a form factor smaller than a laptop is going to result in more heat and fan noise, especially for one of those 11th-gen Intel CPUs. If she's not going to be doing anything intensive, a similar machine with a low-power U- or N-series processor would be better.

I will have a look and see what I can find with that setup.  She will be mostly doing admin work, but may start doing some website work with me as well.  Maybe some 'Cricut' work as well.  Nothing intensive at all. 

I think I am going to the old tried and true XPS system for MrsKojack too. Better to spend extra and get what we want and be happy.  I am extremely happy with my XPS workstation and I am sure it will suit her fine too. I can install Noctua cooling to keep it quiet then as well. 

I was on Dells website and found the inspiron 3020 small desktop. It is perfect for her. It has an i5 13th gen, Xe graphics (fine for her), and I can add 64gb of ram, a 2tb ssd and a big HDD inside the machine. Tack on the low profile noctua cooler, an 80mm in front and 2 40mm in back (all there is space for) and her system will be fast, quiet and not take up a bunch of room.  She is not doing any huge graphic intensive work other than cricut designer so no need for a video card in her system. 

And at 599.00 cdn for the base system it's cost effect that she can get a new laptop too.  See what we can get for a decent price there at the same time. 

• 1 month later...