NotebookTalk

Official 12th Gen Razer Blade Discussion

docbach

welcome other NBR refugees and new forum members!

Wasn’t going to do it since I’ve got a gen 11 Blade 15, but figured since I’m planning on travel nursing for longer than originally planned, I’d upgrade to the Blade 17 with the 12900 and 3080ti to mirror my desktop at home. 

starting this thread so other blade owners can discuss the system and their orders! 

i ordered the 17 with qhd, but am thinking of cancelling. Is the uhd display glossy and touchscreen? will i even be able to run aaa titles with decent framerates? I was in process of cancelling the qhd this morning because uhd was back in stock. they went out of stock before i could cancel my order. Im more interested in the glossy display. can i downscale to 2k with the 4k display?

My personal opinion, 4k laptop displays are not worth it, the screen isn't big enough to take full advantage of the resolution and it absolutely tanks your framerates compared to 1440p and 1080p. Again, personal opinion here, even running an external screen I don't do 4k, PC hardware just is not up the task of pushing 4k at competitive framerates. Only thing 4k in my house are the TV's.

1 hour ago, HWI said:

My personal opinion, 4k laptop displays are not worth it, the screen isn't big enough to take full advantage of the resolution and it absolutely tanks your framerates compared to 1440p and 1080p. Again, personal opinion here, even running an external screen I don't do 4k, PC hardware just is not up the task of pushing 4k at competitive framerates. Only thing 4k in my house are the TV's.

I generally agree that 4K on a laptop screen doesn't make much sense. However, even on a 27-inch external monitor, the increase in sharpness is quite nice for productivity and content consumption. Further, by using integer scaling, you can run games at 1080p and they will look native while allowing you to get the best performance possible.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, HWI said:

I can always downscale to qhd, the 4K screen still has a pretty quick refresh rate.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:16 AM, saturnotaku said:

I generally agree that 4K on a laptop screen doesn't make much sense. However, even on a 27-inch external monitor, the increase in sharpness is quite nice for productivity and content consumption. Further, by using integer scaling, you can run games at 1080p and they will look native while allowing you to get the best performance possible.

I agree, haven't tried in quite some time but setting a 27" 4K monitor to 1080p looks fantastic and you also get the great performance. 

You got rid of your ThinkPad and went with Asus M16?! How do you like it? 

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, glad a similar forum is showing up after the shutdown of NBR. Anyone here who already dumped or flashed their RBA 11th or 12th gen bios manually with hardware programmer? My Blade is not turning on after the last razer bios update and i wanted to quickly manually flash the extracted original bios to get it back to life again and to avoid the horrible RMA procedure of Razer but i have seen that the bios chip is very different to the one i know from RBA 10th gen books.

Would be awesome if someone has experiences with WSON 8x6 chips.

20220402_161904.jpg

• 7 months later...