NotebookTalk

Alienware 18 (2014) mxm to m.2 nvme boot

CircleLoading

Hello,

I trust this message finds you in good health. I would like to seek your assistance regarding a modification I am making to my 2014 Alienware 18 laptop, which has two MXM slots. Specifically, I have decided to allocate one of these MXM slots for an M.2 NVMe SSD upgrade.

I have recently acquired an adapter from AliExpress at the following link:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005365734570.html, along with a Kingston KC3000 NVMe SSD with a capacity of 1TB.

The issue I am encountering is as follows: when I attempt to install Windows using the Windows Install Manager, I can detect the KC3000 NVMe SSD, and I am able to initiate the installation process. However, after the initial installation and the first restart, I receive an error message indicating that the boot device cannot be found.

I kindly request your guidance and expertise to provide me with a brief tutorial or any insights on what steps may be missing in my setup, and what adjustments I need to make in order to successfully boot from the NVMe SSD. Please note that my BIOS is currently running the standard A15 version, and additional configurations of my laptop can be found in the attached images.

Specs:

i7-4930mx

gtx880m - I am going to upgrade to gtx 1070 mxm when I will received new heatsink

A15 bios default from dell site.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and support.

Sincerely,

20230922_215814 (1).jpg