NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7720 CPU upgrade from Xeon CPU E3-1535M v6 @ 3.10GHz

Jax

Hi, all;  new person here, but not new to computers / laptops.   I'm a big precision fan.

I have a Dell Precision 7720 with the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1535M v6 @ 3.10GHz   8 cores.  64GB Ram

I failed the benchmark test miserably.  

• November 03, 2023
    UserBenchmarks: Game 5%, Desk 27%, Work 5%
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1535M v6 - 25.7%
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics P630 - 2.1%                             .....  AND NVIDIA Quadro P5000!!!   Why isn't the 'puter using it?
    SSD: Nvme THNSN51T02DU7 NV 1TB - 103.5%
    SSD: Toshiba THNSN5512GPU7 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 105.9%
    RAM: Unknown K821PJ-MID 4x16GB - 42.1%
    MBD: Dell Precision 7720

Apparently my single core response was horridible. . . .  (sp deliberate)

I want to upgrade the CPU but cannot find a definitive answer for what will work.   Help?

Also, I want to upgrade the GPU.  Help?

Edited by Jax
expand on GPU

GPU shouldn't be too difficult. Unlike the CPU you'd have to change motherboards.  What benchmark was this?

Dell Precision 7540 (Delta fans equipped) | Not in use: HP Elitebook 8470P, ThinkPad X131e, ThinkPad T61, Dell Precision M4800 (dead), HP Zbook 15 G2

33 minutes ago, Jax said:

I ran this in High Performance to get a decent result, did you try with High Performance in Power Management?

2 hours ago, Jax said:

So, what is a good CPU for the 7720?

It also looks like the Xeon is the highest you can get in the 7720.

A little flaky this benchmark software. I individually added the applications it used to run on High performance graphics through Windows and Nvidia Control Panel, so it kinda worked better but still wasn't functioning properly.

There are GPUs out there with raytracing like the RTX 3000 and higher. Since it's MXM, you have more choice compared to DGFF but you run into the steps of modding .inf files to get the drivers installed with Nvidia.

Dell Precision 7540 (Delta fans equipped) | Not in use: HP Elitebook 8470P, ThinkPad X131e, ThinkPad T61, Dell Precision M4800 (dead), HP Zbook 15 G2

18 hours ago, Kitje said:

I ran this in High Performance to get a decent result, did you try with High Performance in Power Management?

Yes - still pretty bad . . . .   Machine is old, but my Precision M6600 is older and faster.

It also looks like the Xeon is the highest you can get in the 7720.

A little flaky this benchmark software. I individually added the applications it used to run on High performance graphics through Windows and Nvidia Control Panel, so it kinda worked better but still wasn't functioning properly.

I don't understand this --- what applications?

There are GPUs out there with raytracing like the RTX 3000 and higher. Since it's MXM, you have more choice compared to DGFF but you run into the steps of modding .inf files to get the drivers installed with Nvidia.

So, no upgrades for the 7720?  I've run all the tests on the memory and CPU, but am finding no reason for all the load and slow performance on Core 1. (or 0, depending on how you count).

7720 CPU is soldered on board, very difficult to upgrade.  e3-1535m v6 is already the highest possible cpu for 7720.

Dell Precision 7780. 13950HX, 96GB, RTX 5000, 11.5TB total SSD, Win11 23h2

Dell Precison 7720, Precision M6800, XPS 9310, Latitude 5310, etc.