NotebookTalk

HP 8740w

jhelton48

Nice!!!  That "ATI Video Card" must have been the FirePro M7820, right?  A good card for its time but no 970M in performance.

I have one of these awaiting repairs; the motherboard seems to have died.  I was the second owner and used it from 2014 - 2018, which admittedly was a relatively light laptop usage period for me.  But it gave me a lot more mobile power than my previous Dell, which was great for its primary use case of LANs at friend's places.  One friend even made the same upgrade to an 8740w in early 2015.

I never wound up kitting it out to its maximum though; it still has its stock 250 GB or 320 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, original CPU.

How did you go about the GPU upgrade, the heatsink in particular?  From what I've read those often need to be trimmed down to size, which is an area where I have neither the tools nor the expertise.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one! So you managed to upgrade from a dual-core CPU to a quad-core one, eh?

Is that even allowed in HP-land? haha

I want to do the same to my Zbook 15 G1 but I'm not sure if its motherboard would take it. I bought my zbook back in 2018 from a dishonest seller who published a 4800MQ/K2100M model and shipped a 4600M/K610M (a.k.a. one of the shittiest configs) instead.

Help me out here if you got any clues!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pixelado_92
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. There's no such thing as dual-pipe CPU heatsinks for the Zbook 15 so I guess mine is fine.

Oh, is that an advanced docking station you got there? I only have the simple 2012 one. Can you put an optical drive or HDD caddy on yours?

On 3/3/2022 at 11:11 PM, pixelado_92 said:

Interesting. There's no such thing as dual-pipe CPU heatsinks for the Zbook 15 so I guess mine is fine.

Oh, is that an advanced docking station you got there? I only have the simple 2012 one. Can you put an optical drive or HDD caddy on yours?

I have DVDRW in the dock.

• 5 months later...

if I've posted in the wrong place, please forgive me…this is my first post

Are there any modifications necessary to install an M3000M in the 8740W?  Should I be looking for an HP iteration of this card, and do I need to flash the Vbios, or look for a Dell Vbios?

Thanks

New poster here. For some reason my last post was successfully submitted, and visible to me, but apparently invisible to everyone else!  So let's try again.

Do the M3000M and M4000M need any special modification to be installed on an 8740 W? I understand that one needs to install  a third  party fan control for these cards, so I am just concerned about whether one needs a certain Vbios or needs to flash a certain Vbiosto get these to work.

Thanks (hoping for visibility)

Hi again:

Apparently something is going on with my account where some of my posts are visible and some are invisible. So let me repeat the gist of my first and most important post.

I'm considering installing an M3000M or an M4000M in my 8740W.  For those with experience, is there any need for any modifications whatsoever, and should I be looking for a card with a particular Vbios? I know it's possible to install these cards, and there is also, apparently, a necessity to install  some sort of fan control program in order to get it all working properly. I would appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks!

For some reason my account is afflicted with an anomaly. Most of my posts are visible to me, but no one else. Because I use a dark reader extension on my browser, I'm going to compose on a separate note pad, as was suggested by my good friend rahasyavadi

Given that I want to install either in M 3000M or an M4000M into my 8740w, are any modifications necessary for the installation? Do I need to flash a specific Vbios or look for a card with a specific Vbios?