NotebookTalk

Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Vasudev

4 hours ago, raptorddd said:

he pad is only available in 0.25 mm thickness, while many imitators rely on 0.2 mm. However, this is NOT an original PTM7950.

would be insteresting to see the difference between fake and original pad.

Honeywell also offers 0.2mm thickness: https://www.caplinq.com/ptm7950-most-thermally-conductive-phase-change-pad-with-very-low-thermal-impedance-that-works-in-vertical-applications-ptm7950.html

• Thumb Up 1

I still swear by my old NH-T2 paste. I have had mine on for 2 years on my XPS workstation and it's not increased in temps etc since application. My notebook had a crap BIOS update that ran the fan ALOT.  I thought it was because the paste broken down, but that wasn't the case. I did re apply and it didn't change things until the next bios update came through. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

On 8/25/2024 at 4:02 PM, Rofa1234 said:

they should have it sold officaly to a certain stores.its hard to guess when you order online.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

• 2 weeks later...

Roundup: Cooler Master CryoFuze 7, CryoFuze 5 Violet, MasterGel Maker and Pro V2 in the test – thermal paste from grey to colourful igorslab.de

Conclusion

Looking at the entire portfolio, I would recommend the Cooler Master MasterGel Maker, which is still easy to process, or the slightly more viscous (and better) CryoFuze 7. Beginners are better off using the Cooler Master MasterGel Pro V2 for quick success. The CryoFuze 5 Violet, on the other hand, is a liquid soup that bleeds and is pumped out faster than you can say pug. That's it for now and we're done.

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

It seems Zen 4 and 5 APUs SMDs are electrically conductive even with using insulation tape and I found it the hard way after I talked to Juan/judal57 who said it was electrically conductive when measuring the dimensions of APU and noticed a shock and spark due to ESD when I touched memory shielding frame of my new thinkpad P14s Gen 5 (Ryzen Pro 8840HS 30-40W TDP) with soldered network card (damn) NFA725 Qualcomm. Added a thermal pad to SSD, Wifi card and CPU. Upgraded memory to 24GB from 16GB as I was running out of 16GB with just VSCode, Zoom and MS teams in background at work.

Didn't see much changes as CPU pushed through 96C before and after repaste.

I used IC graphite pad with a little bit of thermal paste made by cooler master maker gel nano. Before the fans spin the CPU hits 96C and then temps drop to below 90C's otherwise it was running close to 100C out of the box. Had to disable lenovo power driver service as it was boosting CPU unnecessarily based on workload and battery life tanked to under 2hrs just like alienware and the reason to upgrade was better battery life due to heavy rains or power cuts. After tweaks I got 6hrs but still there's lot to improve.

I'll add the images if anybody needs it. Here is link to HWBot: https://hwbot.org/submission/5635947

Another thing was Bitlocker Encrypted drive was not able to be unlocked within Macrium PE and I got that dreaded Bitlocker recovery Screen after fresh install. Disabled device encryption and BDE. I don't want new headaches. It is a mess to boot ventoy without secure boot and only Wimboot was working as expected.

• Thumb Up 2