NotebookTalk

Post your network setup

Custom90gt

yeah I went from 75 to 1000 then down to 75 now im back up to 1000, if your downloading alot of programs daily or games over 75mbps isn't worth it even if its only 50 bucks a month more. I literally do all the same things without hitch whether im on 75mbs or 1000mbs. I notice no change in daily usage like hangups or load screens. i think 75mbs can do over 4 x 4k steams at once. unless your household has 10 eyes and up I dont see a benefit. I benchmark games constantly so downloading 100gb a day is common.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Just purchased a Ruckus ICX7650-48ZP-E2. Basically a super overkill enterprise switch that will do everything from 1gbe to 100gbe and everything in between. Not something I need right now, but will be fun as the wife and I toy with the idea of building a new place. It's loud though so I guess I'm going to mod it with some 140mm fans up top. Thankfully I got it for less than 1/15th of the 16k MRSP!

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 6/21/2023 at 7:18 PM, Sandy Bridge said:

So far I think the fastest I've hit is about 1.7 Gbps, maybe 1.8.  I think that's limited by a combination of factors including spinning rust and the nature of the files being transferred.  Still, it's fast.  I ought to set up a couple ramdisks and test it that way to see what the practical max is, assuming no storage bottlenecks on either end.

I'm also strangely tempted to see if I can get it to work on my oldest working laptop with built-in Ethernet, which has slow Fast Ethernet at 100 Mbps, as it would really knock the socks off of the prior NIC on that PC, and even off of the theoretical max of its 450 Mbps WiFi card.  It would be completely bottlenecked by about seven other things, and drivers are likely to be an issue, even for Linux where it struggles to run modern kernels, but 2.5 Gbps Ethernet on a laptop from 2007 has the same sort of appeal that putting a native install of Windows 98 on an SSD did for me (and Windows 98 is faster on an SSD).

The best way I've found to check bandwidth between two points over tcp/ip is to use iperf.  It's simple, it's command line and it's a single exe.  I used this to validate how bad or decent all the runs at my parents house are that were run in 1995 by people that didn't know what they were doing.

I too love pushing stuff into eras they don't belong, haha!  I have a Pentium Pro 180 running 98se that I put a promise ata card in that would transfer 22MB/sec when backing up from one internal hard drive to the other!  It's amazing how fast stuff goes when the theoretical limits are no longer the ceiling.  Like the 256GB of ram in my HP z420 that was supposed to max out to 32GB, haha...

Edited by Samir
didn't know ctrl-end posted
  • Thumb Up 1

On 6/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, Custom90gt said:

Just purchased a Ruckus ICX7650-48ZP-E2. Basically a super overkill enterprise switch that will do everything from 1gbe to 100gbe and everything in between. Not something I need right now, but will be fun as the wife and I toy with the idea of building a new place. It's loud though so I guess I'm going to mod it with some 140mm fans up top. Thankfully I got it for less than 1/15th of the 16k MRSP!

Ruckus is some awesome stuff!  And so is anything that's old enterprise since it will sell for pennies on the dollar compared to what it cost new.  There's a learning curve and many times it's designed for a data center so fans that scream, power usage that dims the lights (haha, just kidding--unless you have a 2200w VTX chassis or something like that--then it's for real), and performance that makes us smile in sheer delight.  I'll take used enterprise gear or almost anything now--it's the bee's knees!

In fact, there's actually a forum dedicated to the concept of basically creating a datacenter in your home--serve the home.  There's also an active sub on reddit called homelabsales for the sale of equipment and others just for the whole 'data center in a home' hobby.

Edited by Samir
forgot sstuff
  • Thumb Up 1

14 hours ago, Samir said:

Ruckus is some awesome stuff!  And so is anything that's old enterprise since it will sell for pennies on the dollar compared to what it cost new.  There's a learning curve and many times it's designed for a data center so fans that scream, power usage that dims the lights (haha, just kidding--unless you have a 2200w VTX chassis or something like that--then it's for real), and performance that makes us smile in sheer delight.  I'll take used enterprise gear or almost anything now--it's the bee's knees!

In fact, there's actually a forum dedicated to the concept of basically creating a datacenter in your home--serve the home.  There's also an active sub on reddit called homelabsales for the sale of equipment and others just for the whole 'data center in a home' hobby.

Totally agree with everything, and yes this has dual 1000w power supplies. I already have a small collection of Ruckus switches and other products:

Switches:

ICX7150-C12P (although I'm in talks of selling it)

ICX-6450 (my OG entry into ruckus/brocade)

ICX-6610 (my current switch until I get my 7650 up)

ICX-7650-48ZP-E2

Access points:

Ruckus R600s (install them in my family's houses)

Ruckus R650

Ruckus R750

Ruckus R850 (only one that is currently running in my house)

The Brocade guide on STH was the reason I've been so into ruckus.  I obviously have a problem though, lol.

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 6/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, Samir said:

The best way I've found to check bandwidth between two points over tcp/ip is to use iperf.  It's simple, it's command line and it's a single exe.  I used this to validate how bad or decent all the runs at my parents house are that were run in 1995 by people that didn't know what they were doing.

I too love pushing stuff into eras they don't belong, haha!  I have a Pentium Pro 180 running 98se that I put a promise ata card in that would transfer 22MB/sec when backing up from one internal hard drive to the other!  It's amazing how fast stuff goes when the theoretical limits are no longer the ceiling.  Like the 256GB of ram in my HP z420 that was supposed to max out to 32GB, haha...

Well, unfortunately, I'm probably returning my 2.5 Gbps setup.  After getting the drivers that worked and getting those benchmarks, my desktop would not reboot, had to system restore it to before those drivers were installed.  It's on 8.1, which is officially supported by the card, but the drivers aren't stable on 8.1 at all.

So, although I see there are Windows releases of iperf, I'll be skipping that as I've fought enough driver issues on that PC recently.  I guess you get what you're paying for in driver support by buying Aquantia or Marvell instead of Realtek.

256 GB on a PC that supposedly maxes out at 32 GB is impressive.  I've heard of support doubling once larger DIMMs are available, but not... octoplying?  Is there even a word for multiplying by eight?

• Haha 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)