NotebookTalk

Getting GPU Dizzy

Chowda289

I've still been trying to fix my Powerspec 1510 laptop with my gtx 1070 not working. I've tried and tried to get the newest driver to install with no success. My friend believes my GPU still works because Device Manager recognizes it. (I noticed it stopped working after a Windows build update in 2019.) The only possible fix that I've read is to do Windows recovery or try a factory reset. Unfortunately, that means I'll have to spend quite a bit of time backing up all of my files, etc.

Anyway...
I haven't had a desktop in a while, due to space constraints...but I've decided it's time. I've been looking at GPUs and could use advice on which to buy.
I don't know much about the newer NVIDIA cards, and I've been trying to look at benchmarks and other content to compare them.
As far as I've learned, the gtx 1660ti and gtx 1660super are relatively the same, with the ti performing slightly better and running slightly cooler. I've also read they're like the gtx 1070 with performance.
I've read that the rtx 3060 is similar to the gtx 1080ti in performance. I've read that the rtx 2060 is like the 1660ti, so does it make sense to pay extra for the 2060? And what are the rtx 2070super and 3060ti comparable to?

(In easy format: gtx 1660s < gtx 1660ti = rtx 2060 ; rtx 2070super = ?; rtx 3060 = gtx 1080ti ; rtx 3060ti = ? )

The price difference between the 1660ti and 1660super isn't that big; roughly, $10 - 50 difference depending on which I buy (MSI vs Asus vs Zotac, etc.) To get an rtx 2060, the cost is roughly $100 - $200 more (depending on brand.) The rtx 3060 comes in a bundle deal (with processor and chassis; says refurbished - does that mean the cards are refurbished too? I've never bought refurbished items before...) so the price isn't much different from the 2060. The rtx 2070super comes in a bundle deal too (also refurbished.)

I think I've been looking at this stuff for too long today and getting dizzy from it all, so I'd like to hear suggestions. Thanks for the help! (Side note: Most of the GPUs come with processors, either i5-10th, 11th, or 12th gen or i7-10th, or Ryzen 5 or 7. I'm not sure if the processors will affect the GPUs performance significantly?)

Depends on the level of performance you want, rtx obviously has rt and also dlss of which dlss is the most useful vs rt at xx60 or below levels. Dlss can almost be required in certain games like god of war. 1660 super desktop is roughly equivalent to 2060 90w laptop card in a mux situation minus dlss/rt. If you dont care about those and are a moderate 1080p gamer the 1070 is enough imo im not sure on the prices though a 3060 desktop would cover most bases at a higher cost. A 2060 would be the middle ground of course. As to cpu id go ryzen as they,ve beat intel overall last few years. Id certainly make sure your 1070 is dead first. If device manager sees it its hard to think its dead.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, Chowda289 said:
I've still been trying to fix my Powerspec 1510 laptop with my gtx 1070 not working. I've tried and tried to get the newest driver to install with no success. My friend believes my GPU still works because Device Manager recognizes it. (I noticed it stopped working after a Windows build update in 2019.) The only possible fix that I've read is to do Windows recovery or try a factory reset. Unfortunately, that means I'll have to spend quite a bit of time backing up all of my files, etc.

Anyway...
I haven't had a desktop in a while, due to space constraints...but I've decided it's time. I've been looking at GPUs and could use advice on which to buy.
I don't know much about the newer NVIDIA cards, and I've been trying to look at benchmarks and other content to compare them.
As far as I've learned, the gtx 1660ti and gtx 1660super are relatively the same, with the ti performing slightly better and running slightly cooler. I've also read they're like the gtx 1070 with performance.
I've read that the rtx 3060 is similar to the gtx 1080ti in performance. I've read that the rtx 2060 is like the 1660ti, so does it make sense to pay extra for the 2060? And what are the rtx 2070super and 3060ti comparable to?

(In easy format: gtx 1660s < gtx 1660ti = rtx 2060 ; rtx 2070super = ?; rtx 3060 = gtx 1080ti ; rtx 3060ti = ? )

The price difference between the 1660ti and 1660super isn't that big; roughly, $10 - 50 difference depending on which I buy (MSI vs Asus vs Zotac, etc.) To get an rtx 2060, the cost is roughly $100 - $200 more (depending on brand.) The rtx 3060 comes in a bundle deal (with processor and chassis; says refurbished - does that mean the cards are refurbished too? I've never bought refurbished items before...) so the price isn't much different from the 2060. The rtx 2070super comes in a bundle deal too (also refurbished.)

I think I've been looking at this stuff for too long today and getting dizzy from it all, so I'd like to hear suggestions. Thanks for the help! (Side note: Most of the GPUs come with processors, either i5-10th, 11th, or 12th gen or i7-10th, or Ryzen 5 or 7. I'm not sure if the processors will affect the GPUs performance significantly?)

It would depend on the level of performance you want, coupled with what you want to use the GPU for and the budget at your disposal.

The RTX 2060 would probably be a better option than 1660s or 1660ti as it would be more or less a side-grade vs the 1070 with comparable levels of gaming performance, however, that's not the only other thing.

If you expect to use the GPU with some professional software for rendering and HW acceleration, then RTX 2060 would be a good thing to go for because I think the compute performance uplift on the RTX 2060 is pretty good vs 1xxx series.

Alternatively, if its not too much more expensive (or even costs the same) the RTX 3060 would be best seeing how its performance is around RTX 2070 or better... plus, the 3060 is newer and has even better compute performance for rendering, etc.

I'm actually using a  refurbished product right now (my Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61 with Ryzen 2700 and Vega 56, and its been running perfectly fine) but if the 3060 is in a good condition (and depending on how it was previously used) it should be fine for you to use it.

I'd inquire whether the bundled aspect includes refurbished CPU and GPU or just one of the items is refurbished... what/how they were used for and what condition they are in.

Previously used CPU's and GPU's should still be fine to use for extended periods of time and really shouldn't fail unless there's a manufacturer's fault with the product.

Plus, if they are refurbished, its possible that they were just used somewhat before without being stressed too hard (although I could be wrong).

If the eqipment was used for mining crypto,  you could probably still opt to get it (in which case I'd look into using proper thermal paste for the CPU and look into undervolting both the CPU and GPU if possible).

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for the RTX 2060 over a 1660 Ti/Super, or at least not much.  The RTX 2060 adds ray-tracing, but it's the low-end ray-tracing GPU.  From what I've read, if you're going to turn on ray tracing, it's generally advisable to have at least a 2070.  So the 2060 winds up in this valley where you technically have the feature, but not necessarily enough power for it to be super useful.  Either save the money and go 1660, or if you really want it go 2070.

This is also partly influenced by having one of the first-gen CUDA and DX10 cards, and a midrange one, in my case the 8600M GT.  I could technically run CUDA or DX10, but didn't have the power for those to really be useful features.  An 8800, yeah, probably acceptable for both.  But there was really not a practical advantage to having CUDA and DX10 support over having the otherwise-equally-performing 7900 GS at the time.

As for the actual details of Ti/Super/etc.?  I'm not going to pretend enough to say what is the better value, especially as market values are elevated and somewhat volatile.  Honestly, with the GPU market the way it is, I'd probably spend the money on an external hard drive as a proper backup system, and do the Windows reinstall and keep using the 1070.  Eventually the market's going to calm down, and there's at least a quarter-way-decent chance it might have returned halfway to normal by early next year.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

I think it's worth going for the 2060 over the 1660ti because of DLSS.  That can be a huge increase in frames while maintaining image quality. 

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 2/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, duskw4lker said:

wait, before going into what should you buy, have you tried running DDU properly in safe mode?

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and then try to get the driver with

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

It's been a while since I messed with fixing my laptop, so I don't remember. I'll give it another try and update if it works. I'd love to get my laptop fixed, if possible (without having to do a complete backup.)

I found an old forum thread talking about the SvThANSP.sys driver causing a lot of problems. There is a known issue with ControlCenter and the XTU driver. He linked to an old NotebookReview Forums thread to install ControlCenter without the driver or using the CLEVO Drivers Update Utility by OBSIDIAN-PC to load ControlCenter cleanly. Unfortunately, I'll have to dig around on the archives on here to find those.
If DDU doesn't work, I might try doing this.

Update: When I tried to install the driver with NVCleanstall, my anti-virus detected threat W32.Adware.Gen. I didn't continue with the installation for obvious reasons. Should I just try to get the driver from NVIDIA or use the outdated driver from PowerSpec?

2 hours ago, Chowda289 said:

Update: When I tried to install the driver with NVCleanstall, my anti-virus detected threat W32.Adware.Gen. I didn't continue with the installation for obvious reasons. Should I just try to get the driver from NVIDIA or use the outdated driver from PowerSpec?

False positive. NVCleanstall is a well known and trusted software from Techpowerup. 

1073427028_Screenshot2022-03-01174928.thumb.jpg.bd9864b2e131075d0cd13cf85945fd1b.jpg

Anyway, you can also get the driver directly from Nvidia at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

image.png.6d1e4b624af2d36db23db272de293257.png

2 hours ago, duskw4lker said:

False positive. NVCleanstall is a well known and trusted software from Techpowerup. 

1013758768_Screenshot2022-03-01171707.thumb.jpg.79cb408e6e40bf797bbd433c7fe92851.jpg

Anyway, you can also get the driver directly from Nvidia at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

Oh, that's weird. Well, I decided to get the original factory installed driver from PowerSpec. I installed it, and the driver is working. My computer recognizes my GPU, but it still does = signs on the screen. Also, NVIDIA Control Center won't open. It says, "You are currently not using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU." I can use GeForce Experience again, so...I guess that's a plus. 🤔

I created a new thread for troubleshooting my GPU here: https://efgxt.net/topic/264-help-troubleshooting-my-powerspec-1510/

• Thumb Up 1