NotebookTalk

How do I know which fiber optic cable I need to buy?

Snowleopard

I have 8gig Google Fiber, AT&T Fiber and Specturm is laying fiber in the neighborhood.  I am choosing to go with 8gig fiber from one of them and they are talking about 20 gig fiber to residential homes in 12-18 months for 8k video streaming.

That is what is available now and potentially in less than 2 years from now.

The next question is the network in the home. Cat 5/5e 6/6a are not going to handle that type of bandwidth that well. I already have a Cat 8 patch cable going from the fiber box to the the router that services the rest of the home.

Right now I am running a Wifi 6E router and will be upgrading to a WiFi 7 router with SFP ports as soon as I see one that is decent.

The issue is that the router sits on 1 side of the home so the wifi signals that reach the opposite corner of the house, while good, aren't as good as being closer to the router.

I have looked at some of the Wifi 7 mesh systesms and even if I go that route, the mesh access point needs to be hard wired with eithernet or fiber back to the router for the best possible connection with the least amount of latency.

I have a cat5e cable that runs under the house from one side to the other and I want to replace that with a 100gig duplex fiber cable  as my backbone.

Temporarily I was going to use media converted like this (10g) untill 100g ones come available. Or use an 8 port SPF switch if I can find one that will do 100G for a back bone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LQ7H3NB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AE2OZG2NN3099&psc=1

If I am ultimately going this route, I have no idea what fiber cable I need to buy to run under the house. I will need about 150 feet ( ground run ) going through the walls to wall jacks.

I only want to crawl under the house once and be done so I might actually run 3 or 4 sets of duplex 100g fiber cables at 1 time for future expansion.

• 2 months later...

10x my speed

I have a wifi 7 setup and often times I get faster speeds wirelessly. I highly recommend going all wireless with a mesh setup. the be550 is a good start does what it says but remember with wifi 7 its not going to be full speed past 2 walls and Im thinking you will likely see 12-16gbps on average with connect devices also for your desktop and laptop be200 is great at detecting 6ghz band and solid performer. exciting I know. also you will be able to get an incredible geforce now experience with your setup basically little lag and native looking video/game. im jealous keep us posted

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled