NotebookTalk

ThinkPad X1 custom factory build with 4k monitor having performance issues

staycool

Hello everyone.
I am owner of Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (9 gen) with a 4k screen that was put into it during manufacturing. It was custom order from Lenovo website.

I've using laptop for 2+ years for now, and I always used it with HD monitor, but then monitor died and I tried to switch to my 4k built-in monitor. Unexpectedly, I had lags and freezes just watching 4k videos on youtube, moreover, I have shutdowns due to high thermal levels. I actually already regretted this 4k monitor a lot of times, but now I am just curious, if laptop can't really perform with it, could it be a reason for trade-in/swap/chargeback/some kind of deal with Lenovo? Fortunately, It's still on warranty, so I am dreaming 🙂
If you heard anything about similar cases, or have your own opinion, or experience, please, give me your feedback and thoughts

thank you

My only experiences with Lenovo customer support have been....negative :classic_unsure:....But by all means do try.

I now have learned to buy from big brand stores and let them deal with the suppliers for warranty claims.

(ie walk back into the store with a receipt and if required throw a hissy fit...but only if asking nicely doesnt work)

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win8.1

I have a positive experience with them for now. I ordered a laptop using their Swiss website (which allowed nice customization [4k screen, e.g.]), but I am using it in Ukraine. Then I wrote them a few times, I took the laptop to the local Lenovo service center for small repairs (and Swiss Lenovo pre-checked that I won't have problems with papers). Once their support manager called me directly on my cellphone via international roaming, and it was cool, he was super super professional and explained everything. Hope they will be interested to try to help me with the problem

• Thumb Up 1