NotebookTalk

Zbook 17 G5 potential mods

toastofman

Hello all!  Just asking what people have done to their newer G5s, if anyone has modded anything.  These are 17" workstations with up to a P5200 GPU and mobile Xeon, so they can pack a heck of a wallop even nowadays.

One thing offhand I can think of is an upgraded panel, because the 1080p screen installed is only 60hz and cannot be overclocked (to my knowledge) without extreme visual glitches.  Even manual OC to a new profile at 62hz causes severe distortion.  But I think the panel is a weird 30pin eDP panel, and there are virtually no 30pin high refresh rate 1080p panels that I could find.

I never thought of such mod haha. HRR is most often used for playing games, right? Personally, most of the time I spend playing games I do at home, on my desk, using a monitor.

I would be more interested in knowing whether these systems can take a more recent RTX card.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, pixelado_92 said:

I never thought of such mod haha. HRR is most often used for playing games, right? Personally, most of the time I spend playing games I do at home, on my desk, using a monitor.

I would be more interested in knowing whether these systems can take a more recent RTX card.

Yeah, that would be a great mod/upgrade too.  Sadly most of the Nvidia 2k, 3k, or A-series MXM boards are fully proprietary size and shape, with offset mounting screws, and sometimes fully proprietary connectors.  And there are zero AMD mxms (that I am aware of) since the e9550, which is essentially a RX480m...  And also very hard to get, and very expensive for only RX480 level performance.  Shame too, because a 67/6800m mxm would be a great addition to the mxm world.

I've seen a rotated-core 2060m mxm that is standard form factor, but only its datasheet.  Kinda the same situation as the 115w 8GB A4500, its specs are out but I haven't found any kind of vendor for it.  I've now seen some bio-med companies speccing out machines with that card (A4500 mxm) but again, no prices.  The image on the available datasheet shows it as a standard mounting and size, but who knows?

• 3 weeks later...