NotebookTalk

Elden Ring

Prototime

11 hours ago, ratchetnclank said:

How's the stuttering? Has it been fixed at all? I don't really fancy playing it until it's fixed. I can deal with low framerates as long as frametimes are consistent. I can't stand the jarring of frames being incorrectly paced.

I do not believe they have patched it yet.

• Thumb Up 2

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

There is some stuttering but nothing that is excessive imo, usually when you first boot up or come off a fast travel point you get slight stutter. I don't remember any significant stutter during boss fights and there are not enough enemies at once to get stutter from what I remember. No idea about patches as I've uninstalled for the space. I was at 1080/60 or sometimes windowed 900p while watching something. I think at least some of peoples problem is not restarting the system before playing, GTAV etc I can get a stutterfest at times unless I restart. I'm still at 471.11 drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a fix for stuttering on my machine, perhaps it might work for others as well. After you launch Elden Ring, go to task manager>eldenring.exe>set affinity> untick CPU0 but keep everything else.

This fixes random drops and stutter with W10 LTSC and 512.15 driver.

• Thumb Up 2

• 6 months later...

Question for those who played the game...

I'm still getting ready to dive in and I'd like to give myself the best chance to get through it all. In know generally in all souls games the build type doesn't matter too much but I have seen some boss fight videos from Elden Ring and I'm slightly worried. I'd like to assume all the rage quits and screaming in youtube videos are fake and only for entertainment purposes, but some of the fights do seem pretty unfair.

Having said that, I like OP strength builds with huge weapons, sneaking up on enemies, and one(few) hit kills. Would something like this be viable in Elden Ring? If yes, can I get some tips on what early items to go for? Am I setting myself up for pain with some of the faster bosses?

• Thumb Up 1

On 11/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, cucubits said:

Question for those who played the game...

I'm still getting ready to dive in and I'd like to give myself the best chance to get through it all. In know generally in all souls games the build type doesn't matter too much but I have seen some boss fight videos from Elden Ring and I'm slightly worried. I'd like to assume all the rage quits and screaming in youtube videos are fake and only for entertainment purposes, but some of the fights do seem pretty unfair.

Having said that, I like OP strength builds with huge weapons, sneaking up on enemies, and one(few) hit kills. Would something like this be viable in Elden Ring? If yes, can I get some tips on what early items to go for? Am I setting myself up for pain with some of the faster bosses?

I'm probably not exactly the right one to answer as I've only every played through the first two (Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, I got so far into DS1 I call it finished.. I was hours away) but it seems like one of the most important moves you can make is rolling to evade/dodge, which takes stamina and speed. 

The souls-likes are pretty much about practice, practice, practice. Reaction speed and learning the puzzle of the enemy. Given that I would imagine you can make any build work, but in my past experience anything that had a hard time keeping up stamina for a lot of evasion was difficult to play.

I'm sure an expert will come in and tell me how wrong I am lol.

I tried to get back into it again after someone suggested I stop trying to beat the big dude that jumps down from the arch and the crossbowmen and just use the horse to run past it all instead. I did that and got into a better place but I have since stopped playing it again at that point.

The game pretty much tells you which direction to go when starting out as you are compelled to follow these breadcrumbs to the quest you get, but I suppose you can run off in any direction. I just automatically assumed that as a char just starting out running off in some random direction would be suicide as encountering things you have no business of fighting yet by running off in a direction has been a staple of the series.

I'm not sure how I plowed through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls somewhat effortlessly, not without challenge for sure, and have been bouncing off their stuff since. Maybe as I get older my patience is just wearing thinner.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38