NotebookTalk

2022 LG Gram 16/17 announced

hfm

• 1 month later...

Well, 2024 we then likely have 90/120hz OLED with 500 nits. If that then comes with Ryzen 4 I will be upgrading from the 16z90P series. 

The new devices look like another step in the right direction (not sure how battery life will do on the OLED - OLEDS have more room for improvement vs old backlit LEDS) 

At last a review of the 2022 model with the RTX2050.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-17-review-A-super-light-17-inch-laptop-with-a-modest-dGPU.698340.0.html

The increase in weight is so small compared to the bigger battery and much better cooling. The dGPU is the cherry on the cake. Unfortunately it gets much much louder...

For 2023 models we will get RTX3050, variable refresh rate displays and better speakers. I guess it is worth upgrading only to the dGPU version.

21 hours ago, skipper said:

At last a review of the 2022 model with the RTX2050.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-17-review-A-super-light-17-inch-laptop-with-a-modest-dGPU.698340.0.html

The increase in weight is so small compared to the bigger battery and much better cooling. The dGPU is the cherry on the cake. Unfortunately it gets much much louder...

For 2023 models we will get RTX3050, variable refresh rate displays and better speakers. I guess it is worth upgrading only to the dGPU version.

Great review, thanks for posting.  I'd love the extra battery capacity. The noise issue concerns me but - I wonder - if you set it to the lowest power setting (optimize for sound, which does basically cripple it ...) whether it's just as quiet as the current model?  I don't mind excessive noise if there's a purpose - like I'm playing a game or transcoding a video. But I want total silence if I'm just surfing the web or writing emails. 

10 hours ago, Steerpike said:

Great review, thanks for posting.  I'd love the extra battery capacity. The noise issue concerns me but - I wonder - if you set it to the lowest power setting (optimize for sound, which does basically cripple it ...) whether it's just as quiet as the current model?  I don't mind excessive noise if there's a purpose - like I'm playing a game or transcoding a video. But I want total silence if I'm just surfing the web or writing emails. 

If you noticed in the review the photos of the back cover, the tape covering the vents leaves more space than in the iGPU version. Some people claim that they have improved thermals by removing the tape completely, but the laptops have become louder. Some users of the dGPU version on Reddit were very happy saying that when not under stress, for general productivity the laptop stays quiet. On the other hand at the review they are clear that the quiet mode is almost unusable.

Even though the battery is bigger, it cannot fully compensate for the higher power usage. So battery life is still best on the Intel 11 series running windows 10. Hard to say how the 12 and 13 series would turn out if you downgrade to windows 10. Windows 11 still uses more battery for the same work.

To bad we don't have zen3 or Zen4 models. If LG could keep WiFi card from Intel that could be amazing battery life (Intel WiFi cards are still the most power efficient).

And yeah removing the tape must help, but think twice about it if you have the laptop often on your lap. At least on the z/intel 11 I doubt it increases noise. It's a trade of between cooler by some degrees vs having more heat on your lap with lap usage.

You can always still change fan in bios and change the CPU max temp with throttlestop or also in bios. Increase it to 97 from 90 and increase the temp at which the fan kicks in and that should give you a quieter system. A delta of 7 for max CPU temperature gives about 10% more performance at 20° room temperature and having the fan kicks in 10-15degrees later if you want it quiet could nearly double the performance before the fan kicks in. 

However all at the expense of heat. In hot climate I set fan to kick in already at 40 idegree because it's just too hot on my lap... Would prefer more heat exhaustion to the top vs bottom. I haven't found any good lap cooler that is comfortable and creates a good separation for lap use on sun lounger/sofa in summer (try to save on electricity for Aircon)