NotebookTalk

Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Thread

FredSRichardson

I hope you don't mind if I start a thread in the style of the old notebookreview thread:

*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

I own a 2016 P650RS-G.  I did have to replace the keyboard (several letters got worn down beyond recognition), I upgraded the Intel wifi card and I added another Samsung M.2 SSD, but that's about it.

The only issue I ran into recently was upgrading the nvidia driver 512.15 released 3/22/22.  The latest driver update left with with a blank screen that wouldn't go away.  Several forced reboots and an attempt at a driver downgrade left me with a botched system.  I had to do a Windows reset from my restoration thumb drive (which fortunately I found).  And now I'm back to the nvidia 368.83 driver from around 2016.

Anyone know if there are more recent drivers that are better for this system?

• Thumb Up 1

Well I installed nvidia driver 472.12 using NVCleanstall and it appears to work okay - I haven't run it through it's paces yet.  I think the issue with the 512.15 driver may be that it requires a clean install, but I'm not sure.  I did notice that it is only available as a DCH driver.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way - so far I have not been able to install any DCH driver on this system.  Driver installation simply halts at a black screen (backlight is still on) and after a forced reboot the system won't boot into windows - basically I had to restore the system from the last restore point.  Anyone else had trouble with the DCH drivers?  I'm definitely going to stay away from them.

• 3 months later...

Looking for the vbios for a g650rs-g (i7-6700hq with the gtx1070), sager support is so slow at responding, and mine seems to be corrupt, if any one would be kind enough to backup a copy of theirs and email me it I'd appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

@Nareon - I think you're going to have to get it from Sager or from someone who also got the same model from Sager.  There isn't even a default BIOS available from Clevo here: https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_down.asp?lang=en    So I'm guessing this can vary depending on the laptop reseller.

EDIT: I can't tell if this is legit - I'd be careful - but it might be worth looking into:  clevo-p650rs-g-p670rs-g-p670rp6-g-bios.1

I often miss my P651RS-G. Sold it almost 2 years ago. It had a lot if good stuff:

-G-sync

-Tweakable bios (I overclocked and tuned ram from 2133cl15 to 2400cl14 with tight subs, got me up to 15% more fps in some games). Even supported 2666+ OC but my ram couldn't handle that.

-Max charge setting on battery

-Easy to open

-Very nice temps repasted with Kryonaut (CPU  -4C, GPU -2C), undervolted core and cache by -140/-190mv lowered temps by 10C, and UV/OC on GPU (1850@850mv, 3% better perf, 2C lower temps) and cooling pad with fan -2C on both. In Witcher 3 temps dropped from near 90C CPU/76C GPU to 70C/70C.

Only thing I disliked was fan profile. Around 49dB even with UVs applied, wish I could run fans a bit slower at a bit higher temps.

I have been looking for a similar notebook later (g-sync, ram tuning in bios, charge limiter, easy maintenance and tuneable fan profiles), but found no candidates I could afford. Some MSI titans fit the discription, but cost 2500usd+.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, un3nabled said:

If it isn't too late, @Nareon I've dumped a Clevo P650RS-G VBIOS with GPU-Z. This one was equipped with G-Sync using the LP156WF6-SPB1 panel.

GP104.zip 149.57 kB · 0 downloads

01.png

I'll try this tonight and see how it goes, it's a friend's laptop, been sitting on my shelf waiting for a reply/vbios, been slowly going through the entire techpowerup vbios collection

I'll try this tonight and see how it goes, it's a friend's laptop, been sitting on my shelf waiting for a reply/vbios, been slowly going through the entire techpowerup vbios collection

Hope it works out 👍

It is a great little laptop, it stood out for me back then with the MUX switch

• 2 months later...

The laptop still works!  Just thought I'd ping this old thread. I did replace the keyboard, but so far that's about it.  Knock on wood anyway, I really don't really want to buy a new laptop any time soon and honestly I'm not doing much gaming so even this one is overpowered for most of my needs.  I've also been using my 2013 HP Spectre 13" Ultrabook - just for watching videos in the web browser.  I might have to replace the battery, but otherwise that old system still works fine.  I've had a lot of concern about BGA systems, and I guess I'm still not a huge fan of the whole idea, but I have to admit that the two BGA laptops I own have held up pretty well.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 8:43 AM, Taraquin said:

I often miss my P651RS-G. Sold it almost 2 years ago. It had a lot if good stuff:

-G-sync

-Tweakable bios (I overclocked and tuned ram from 2133cl15 to 2400cl14 with tight subs, got me up to 15% more fps in some games). Even supported 2666+ OC but my ram couldn't handle that.

-Max charge setting on battery

-Easy to open

I'm still using mine I bought used for like £800 end of 2016 as a Medion Erazer which was the rebrand of it

I7-6700HQ  / Core cache -140mv
32GB Ram, RGB Keyboard

My Display runs at 90HZ oc from 75hz

Ram set to 2400cl14

BAKED P65_67RSRP (U3E1) Bios

5TB HDD which is so larger to get a 2nd SSD to sit ontop of it I had to remove all its casing.
256 840 Pro stacked on it

OEM samsung 256gb msata ssd
OEM Samsung NVME 512gb boot drive (3500mbs read / writes )

New keyboard because the blue leds failed, same thing happened on the replacement over time.

Using Obsidian Keyboard LED

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Wifi 6 Card

Battery was kaput within the first year so always on mains.

(I actually have a replacement battery on way as we speak)

replaced the DC end cable end of the charging brick as its contacts were worn

The plastic coating on touchpad wore through so replaced it with carbon fibre vinyl.

2 screw mounts have snapped on underside thanks to 6 years of unscrewing and redoing paste/removing dust from grills.

Overall its still my only pc and daily driver but still holds up solidly , it performs rapidly in all use cases.  Only slog is video encoding and higher settings on latest games.