NotebookTalk

need help updating intel management engine firmware

raptorddd

not sure where to post this... should we update the intel management engine.?? is it needed if so.

does anyone know how to update intel management engine firmware. if an update is not provided by you laptop manufacturer.?

there are other places that have tutorial but i got stuck. and they do not seem to like to help out newbies.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

32 minutes ago, raptorddd said:

not sure where to post this... should we update the intel management engine.?? is it needed if so.

does anyone know how to update intel management engine firmware. if an update is not provided by you laptop manufacturer.?

there are other places that have tutorial but i got stuck. and they do not seem to like to help out newbies.

Not sure why you think IME needs an update but windows update usually gives "INTEL - System" which they are pretty unclear about exactly what it is AND there is also "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" that scans your system and gives you the option to download and install or NOT. I have mostly older laptops and this is pretty much uselass but the one newer laptop gets updates from them more often and I have had no problems.

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

13 hours ago, aldarxt said:

Not sure why you think IME needs an update but windows update usually gives "INTEL - System" which they are pretty unclear about exactly what it is AND there is also "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" that scans your system and gives you the option to download and install or NOT. I have mostly older laptops and this is pretty much uselass but the one newer laptop gets updates from them more often and I have had no problems.

am not sure either. windows update gives you driver not firmware. i think firmware updates are included on bios update. but if theres no more new bios update then you must manually flash the files. 

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

58 minutes ago, raptorddd said:

am not sure either. windows update gives you driver not firmware. i think firmware updates are included on bios update. but if theres no more new bios update then you must manually flash the files. 

This website https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5y1dk looks to be the latest from Dell but be careful, it might be for security purposes and might slow your PC. I dont usually update the firmware because of that reason. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I am on A11 unlocked bios in my very old Alienwares and Dell is up to A14 or something like that, They want to improve security, but I dont run a business or a server or any website so I am not afraid of being Hacked by the communists lol

Well I just checked my m6700 and it is on A20 which is the last bios update for that laptop, so I cant say yes or no, but if you download it just double click it and let it finish before touching the laptop

• Thumb Up 1

18 hours ago, aldarxt said:

This website https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5y1dk looks to be the latest from Dell but be careful, it might be for security purposes and might slow your PC. I dont usually update the firmware because of that reason. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I am on A11 unlocked bios in my very old Alienwares and Dell is up to A14 or something like that, They want to improve security, but I dont run a business or a server or any website so I am not afraid of being Hacked by the communists lol

Well I just checked my m6700 and it is on A20 which is the last bios update for that laptop, so I cant say yes or no, but if you download it just double click it and let it finish before touching the laptop

no latest is A19.  Dell Precision M4600 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell US not sure why doesnt show whole link address.

well i do not have knowledge about intel managment engine. and i tought it was to make pc perform better. so there are just security patches. then wich one should i use.? just like you stay on a specific version.

i dont do bussines either and could care less about security. am broke.

so.. seems tha you know about this matter. could you help pick the right version to stay there.. dont worry about bios.. i have ch34a1 programmer. just unbricked this laptop. i have bricked 2 motherboards.. the first motherboard i broke the fan gpu socket when i was installing at night and broke it. so to use laptop wny imte i would use i would use a direct connection of fan. i only had to plug cable to usb port.. then one day when i was reinstalling w10 it got bricked.

downloaded official microsoft iso. and used rufus.  i have installed the same image in usb before several times.

so one time  after the screen you select hard drive to install. then it starts copying files from usb. once it finishes it reboots after 10 countdown.. it rebooted and showed the dell logo then freezed.

pressing any key F12 ect did nothing. i could only see the blue bar fill up then freeze would not go past the dell logo screen.

i did a lot of research and could not find anyting. many said it was the motherboard was dead. so i tought motherboard dead and broken gpu fan socket.. ill get another motherboard. got one with warranty. 

note i live in mexico and bought them on usa. that motherboard was having problems . when i  was watching you tube videos it would shut off randomly. in 20-40 minutes it would shut off. no overheat i could strees cpu and would not overheat or shut off. sent it back. my mom goes to usa every 2-3 months. so sent it with her.. tha was on december 2019 before coronavirus.. she came to mexico on jan 2020 and the pandemic started. borders were close 2 years. so i had someone sent it to repair before warranty expires. it got replaced. but stayed there for like 2 years. thne finally some firned of family went to usa and broght me the motherboard this jan 2022. LOL installed windows 10  and it was breaking some aps when windows did updates. ( thihs is the first time i use windows update ) so i reisntalled windows 10 again... yes it also got bricked exactly like the other old motherboard exactly the same.. after 5 days .. i was ver y sad.

so did some research again and this time i found someone that had the same problem he got it brick differenet but was doing dual install. same dell m4600

so i read he used programmer. so bought one and manage to unbricked it.

do you know how to clear ME.?  

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

15 hours ago, raptorddd said:

no latest is A19.  Dell Precision M4600 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell US not sure why doesnt show whole link address.

well i do not have knowledge about intel managment engine. and i tought it was to make pc perform better. so there are just security patches. then wich one should i use.? just like you stay on a specific version.

i dont do bussines either and could care less about security. am broke.

so.. seems tha you know about this matter. could you help pick the right version to stay there.. dont worry about bios.. i have ch34a1 programmer. just unbricked this laptop. i have bricked 2 motherboards.. the first motherboard i broke the fan gpu socket when i was installing at night and broke it. so to use laptop wny imte i would use i would use a direct connection of fan. i only had to plug cable to usb port.. then one day when i was reinstalling w10 it got bricked.

downloaded official microsoft iso. and used rufus.  i have installed the same image in usb before several times.

so one time  after the screen you select hard drive to install. then it starts copying files from usb. once it finishes it reboots after 10 countdown.. it rebooted and showed the dell logo then freezed.

pressing any key F12 ect did nothing. i could only see the blue bar fill up then freeze would not go past the dell logo screen.

i did a lot of research and could not find anyting. many said it was the motherboard was dead. so i tought motherboard dead and broken gpu fan socket.. ill get another motherboard. got one with warranty. 

note i live in mexico and bought them on usa. that motherboard was having problems . when i  was watching you tube videos it would shut off randomly. in 20-40 minutes it would shut off. no overheat i could strees cpu and would not overheat or shut off. sent it back. my mom goes to usa every 2-3 months. so sent it with her.. tha was on december 2019 before coronavirus.. she came to mexico on jan 2020 and the pandemic started. borders were close 2 years. so i had someone sent it to repair before warranty expires. it got replaced. but stayed there for like 2 years. thne finally some firned of family went to usa and broght me the motherboard this jan 2022. LOL installed windows 10  and it was breaking some aps when windows did updates. ( thihs is the first time i use windows update ) so i reisntalled windows 10 again... yes it also got bricked exactly like the other old motherboard exactly the same.. after 5 days .. i was ver y sad.

so did some research again and this time i found someone that had the same problem he got it brick differenet but was doing dual install. same dell m4600

so i read he used programmer. so bought one and manage to unbricked it.

do you know how to clear ME.?  

I would not worry about making it perform better, If it is running that should be good enough unless you want to do hardware upgrades. But right now if you can just upgrade the bios to the latest one, your link to the A19 is what I would do, It may let it run Win 10 even though Dell says it is not supported. I don't know how to use the ch34a1 programmer. Clearing the bios you would need to remove the cmos battery but the M4600 may be different from what I know, But unplugging, removing the battery, pressing power button for 10 seconds, open the back panel, unplug the cmos battery and shorting the 2 connectors with a small screwdriver should set bios back to factory defaults. Is your system on legacy or UEFI, you will have to reset it in bios. I dont have a m4600 to know exactly, but if you changed the MOBO you should have the cmos already cleared and ready to upgrade.

• Thumb Up 1

10 hours ago, aldarxt said:

I would not worry about making it perform better, If it is running that should be good enough unless you want to do hardware upgrades. But right now if you can just upgrade the bios to the latest one, your link to the A19 is what I would do, It may let it run Win 10 even though Dell says it is not supported. I don't know how to use the ch34a1 programmer. Clearing the bios you would need to remove the cmos battery but the M4600 may be different from what I know, But unplugging, removing the battery, pressing power button for 10 seconds, open the back panel, unplug the cmos battery and shorting the 2 connectors with a small screwdriver should set bios back to factory defaults. Is your system on legacy or UEFI, you will have to reset it in bios. I dont have a m4600 to know exactly, but if you changed the MOBO you should have the cmos already cleared and ready to upgrade.

it does run win 10 many had win 10 on m4600

ok i tought when you said you had it unlocked that you unlock it.  i have no idea if bios comes unlock for all. 

and no am not talking about that clear of bios.. i mean in bios file the part that has  the intel mangament. when you flash someones elses dump. you need to clear it. ive read that comunication doesnt work well and you face problems..

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

15 hours ago, raptorddd said:

it does run win 10 many had win 10 on m4600

ok i tought when you said you had it unlocked that you unlock it.  i have no idea if bios comes unlock for all. 

and no am not talking about that clear of bios.. i mean in bios file the part that has  the intel mangament. when you flash someones elses dump. you need to clear it. ive read that comunication doesnt work well and you face problems..

I am not sure about the Intel management in bios, I didn't unlock the ones I used, but on the Dell drivers page there is the Intel Management Engine 7.1 Components Installer for Chipset_Driver_MPGY4_WN_7.1.70.1205_A05.EXE. That's all I can come up with, I'm not sure what communication you are referring to, nor someone else's dump to clear. As far as unlocked bios for pretty much all Precisions I don't think there are any. I tried looking for my Precision m6700 and m4700 but nothing.

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 5:19 AM, raptorddd said:

FYI. Windows update offer also firmware updates. Dell is very keen to offer firmware updates via Microsoft servers. Same also for Lenovo and other brands. Here's one thread of many "9570 BIOS update appearing via Windows Update" 

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel