NotebookTalk

Lenovo Legion 7 2022 announced

saturnotaku

B&H has an i9 HX, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 3080 Ti on sale for $3049.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1694164-REG/lenovo_82td0005us_legion_7_i9_12900hx_32gb.html

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Glad to see the price falling from that original ridiculous $4000+ amount. It's almost low enough to tempt me but yeah, I don't think any laptop is worth more than $2500. Especially a $800 - $1000+ premium for a 3080 Ti vs 3070 Ti. That's just TGH.

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

3 hours ago, jlp0209 said:

Glad to see the price falling from that original ridiculous $4000+ amount. It's almost low enough to tempt me but yeah, I don't think any laptop is worth more than $2500. Especially a $800 - $1000+ premium for a 3080 Ti vs 3070 Ti. That's just TGH.

Because of the Labor day sales going on. Its expected to go back to normal

i agree. A 3080ti isnt much faster than a 3070ti and OEMs often overcharge for RTX 3080ti laptops, They did the same for the RTX 3080 laptops.

Speaking of RTX 3070ti laptops

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-Pro-16-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-12700H-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3070-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-Windows-11-Home-Storm-Grey-82RF00DBUS/761504447

I still think this is the best deal i seen for a Intel 12th Gen/RTX 3070TI Laptop. The AMD version is about $50 cheaper.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

Despite having a smaller capacity battery, my Blade 14 gets nearly double the run time under similar operating conditions as my former 11th-gen 15-inch model. Alder Lake is even worse in this regard. However, if you don't care about that, Intel definitely is the way to go this generation.

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 8/31/2022 at 9:53 PM, KING19 said:

You can upgrade to 64GBs of RAM yourself and save money. OEMs often overcharges for RAM and SSD anyways so its no big deal.

Speaking of pricing there a labor day sale for the Maxed out version of the Legion 7 2022 Intel version for $3300. Make you use the code: GAMEON25

But still im not spending that much money on any laptop.

Can you? Isn't one module soldered? This should be the reason why they limit the offer to 16 or 32gb (they basically solder one 8gb or 16gb module).

NVM: this should only be the case for the 7S model

7 minutes ago, Bullit said:

Not soldered in Legions.

Yeah, just found out the standard legion 7 support 2 dimms up to 64gb total.

Waiting for a couple of reviews to decide what to do. Pulling 3+ k€ to still have to buy 2x dimms for ram upgrade and a 2nd SSD doesn't seem cheap but lenovo still looks like the best compromise in terms of quality / performance / price.

Anyone has any source for info about cooling performance, thermals and such?

On 9/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, KING19 said:

Because of the Labor day sales going on. Its expected to go back to normal

i agree. A 3080ti isnt much faster than a 3070ti and OEMs often overcharge for RTX 3080ti laptops, They did the same for the RTX 3080 laptops.

Speaking of RTX 3070ti laptops

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-Pro-16-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-12700H-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3070-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-Windows-11-Home-Storm-Grey-82RF00DBUS/761504447

I still think this is the best deal i seen for a Intel 12th Gen/RTX 3070TI Laptop. The AMD version is about $50 cheaper.

That is a very nice deal. I've been viewing reviews of the Gen 7 5i Pro and they all seem to run insanely hot? *Edit- revisited proper reviews like Jarrod rather than some other hacks, and see that thermals are pretty under control. Nevermind. 

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:23 AM, -batab- said:

Yeah, just found out the standard legion 7 support 2 dimms up to 64gb total.

Waiting for a couple of reviews to decide what to do. Pulling 3+ k€ to still have to buy 2x dimms for ram upgrade and a 2nd SSD doesn't seem cheap but lenovo still looks like the best compromise in terms of quality / performance / price.

Anyone has any source for info about cooling performance, thermals and such?

Intel and AMD laptops have supported up to 64GBs of RAM for a few years now. Since 2022 laptops uses DDR5 RAM its gonna be more expensive to upgrade to 64GBs of DDR5 RAM than DDR4.

There are some reviews of the Legion 7 on youtube but not much info about the thermals

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

It could depend from model to model. I haven't seen Youtube videos of the Legion 5/7 2022 model BIOS, but one from 2020 shows an undervolt option (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecn_sKNeiKc), and another for an AMD model allow GPU overclocking (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_ywamrspQ

Anyway Jarrod's Tech has a new video for benchmarking the Lenovo 7i which covers a lot about it but nothing about the BIOS. This isn't the full review, that's actually still coming!

• Thumb Up 1

Jarrod's Tech posted their full video review of the 2022 Lenovo Legion 7i, and he does have a section on the BIOS. There's an option to enable CPU overclocking (his model has the maxed-out i9-12900HX though) and GPU overclocking but doesn't appear to be an option to undervolt.

Build quality wise, this year's model appears to be a good improvement from last year - I'm definitely interested in getting a model with the 3070 Ti

• Thumb Up 2

I think I'll pull the trigger on the 12800hx - 3070ti. Much more affordable and basically same performance. Should also be quieter and cooler. 

Might even consider the 6900hx 6850m xt since it's same price but I'm not fully convinced with the 6900hx. Not being sure to have the option to undervolt the 12800hx is the main reason I'm still considering the amd version honestly. Undervolting my actual 7820hk has done wonders and losing this possibility would piss me off for such an expensive laptop. 

Both versions should be below 3k€ anyway.

EDIT: undervolting is actually possible as reported in the mash it review so I might pull the trigger in the next days. Let's see if I'm strong enough to resist or not😬

• Thumb Up 3

• 2 months later...

After my latest Legion debacle with a defective 5 Pro for which Antonline only refunded 85% of my money (have a dispute open with fleBay to get the rest back), I picked up the base model Legion 7 Advantage Edition so a 6800H and RX 6700M. Total cost including tax and Rakuten cash back will be less than $1500. The all-metal build is certainly the nicest of the Legion 5/5 Pro/7 line, with the glass trackpad being a notable step up from the lesser models. My unit runs incredibly cool and for basic tasks is pretty much silent.

However, my old nemesis high-pitched fan whine decided to make an appearance. It's not nearly as bad on this laptop as it was on most 2021 Legions I tried. Upon browsing reddit, I came across a thread of people discussing the same issue on the older models. Someone put masking tape on the vents, partially blocking both the fans and it more or less solved the problem. I tried it on mine and lo and behold, it all but eliminated the noise to the point where now the only time I really hear it is if the fans are going full tilt with synthetic benchmarks using performance mode, which is not a realistic scenario for how I would be using the device. Plus, temperatures didn't increase by what I would consider a noticeable amount, 1 maybe 2 degrees tops. I have a couple items coming in that I'm going to experiment with as a means of trying to find a more aesthetically pleasing solution. Yes, you never spend time looking at the bottom of your laptop, but what I ordered could also potentially provide another benefit on top of eliminating the noise if it works as I'm envisioning. If it doesn't I'll just go back to using masking tape.

19 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

After my latest Legion debacle with a defective 5 Pro for which Antonline only refunded 85% of my money (have a dispute open with fleBay to get the rest back), I picked up the base model Legion 7 Advantage Edition so a 6800H and RX 6700M. Total cost including tax and Rakuten cash back will be less than $1500. The all-metal build is certainly the nicest of the Legion 5/5 Pro/7 line, with the glass trackpad being a notable step up from the lesser models. My unit runs incredibly cool and for basic tasks is pretty much silent.

However, my old nemesis high-pitched fan whine decided to make an appearance. It's not nearly as bad on this laptop as it was on most 2021 Legions I tried. Upon browsing reddit, I came across a thread of people discussing the same issue on the older models. Someone put masking tape on the vents, partially blocking both the fans and it more or less solved the problem. I tried it on mine and lo and behold, it all but eliminated the noise to the point where now the only time I really hear it is if the fans are going full tilt with synthetic benchmarks using performance mode, which is not a realistic scenario for how I would be using the device. Plus, temperatures didn't increase by what I would consider a noticeable amount, 1 maybe 2 degrees tops. I have a couple items coming in that I'm going to experiment with as a means of trying to find a more aesthetically pleasing solution. Yes, you never spend time looking at the bottom of your laptop, but what I ordered could also potentially provide another benefit on top of eliminating the noise if it works as I'm envisioning. If it doesn't I'll just go back to using masking tape.

Reminds me of an old MSi I had. One day after cleaning the fan out, I decided to leave the maintence hatch off (this was back in the day when you didn't have to completely tear down the laptop to clean it). The fan noise dropped to next to nothing. Turns out it was the sound of the air passing through the vent slots that was creating the high pitch whisting noise - not the fan itself. As a bonus the machine was running 10° cooler with the hatch off.

Looking at the tiny slots on the bottom of my Legion it wouldn't be surprising that they could be creating a whistling sound.