NotebookTalk

Upgrade to Yoga C940

I have some grant money that I need to spend by September, and as my current laptop is having severe performance issues I was hoping to replace it with a newer model. I headed over to NBR and was shocked to see that it closed. Followed the trail and here I am :).

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Up to $2600, but if I can spend less that would be great

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) In which country will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: None
b. Dislike: None

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Only if they offer a strong benefit over new

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook? Excel processing, power point, Python, Visual Studio

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

😎 Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Preferably 5 or more

10) Would you prefer to see the notebook you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. I've always been a Windows user but willing to consider Mac
12) What ports do you require on your laptop? (ex. MiniDisplayPort or HDMI? Displayport or USB-C w/ DP?) USB-C.

Screen Specifics

13) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? See further below for explanations. 4K would be ideal, but willing to compromise here

14) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? See further below for explanations. No preference

Build Quality and Design

15) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? I don't want something that screams "gamer" (despite very much being a gamer).

Notebook Components

16) How much storage space do you need? 512 GB min, 1 TB preferable

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

17) When do you consider purchasing this laptop? Before September

18) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2-4 years

19) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1-2 months

20) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Shipping is acceptable

I currently have a Yoga C940. For the first year it was great, but over the past year it's been having severe performance and battery life issues. Windows Explorer is extremely laggy, and Excel takes over a minute to open. I'd suspect a misconfigured OneDrive, but my gaming desktop connected to the same account seems to work fine. I also suspect my employer's security software suite (Dell Encryption, IBM BigFix) but I'm unwilling to let it anywhere near my gaming desktop to test :D. Since I have the money to burn for work-related expenses, I figured I'd try to upgrade the laptop and see if it fixes the issue. Does anyone have recommendations? Also, are there any highly anticipated releases between now and September that might be worth waiting for? Thanks!

a c940 is a nice laptop I recommend refurbished.....I know its not new but the savings is huge....buy 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I mean there are quite a few options.  You can look into the Dell XPS 13" as it has a great build quality and good battery life, but everything is soldered and non-replaceable.

There is also the 14" LG Gram that is built well and it has 2 NVMe slots so you can have a fair amount of space if you need it (but the ram is soldered). 

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was you custom. if it was.  !!

congrats on the new addition. extremely excited for you. I wish I had a family

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled