NotebookTalk

Anyone here know anything about dolby vision and sony TVS?

ryan

I just bought a X85J sony 4k hdr tv two days ago, and I have hdmi set to VRR 120hz on the 2 hdmi 2.1 ports however when I use the youtube app built into the tv, there is no setting for dolby vision to toggle it on off bright dark ect. does anyone own a recent sony tv or have an Idea how I get dolby vision turned on in the apps like disney plus and youtube aswell as netflix. I have no idea and my searches have resulted in no progress.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

found an interesting video on hdr10 vs vision

I figured it out or rather it figured me out...was just the source

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

You need special Dolby Vision streams, you can't just enable this on any content. I'm not aware of YouTube supporting this, and on Netflix you need the top-tier subscription, otherwise it's not available. No special configuration should be required (unless Sony are very weird, which I'm sure they're not).

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Yeah the youtube dv videos only work with certain tvs...netflix ones work just fine...on my old tcl TV I had dv working via youtube

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 hours ago, ryan said:

Yeah the youtube dv videos only work with certain tvs...netflix ones work just fine...on my old tcl TV I had dv working via youtube

Youtube doesn't do Dolby Vision at all. Everything on Youtube is HDR10/HDR10+

Google will only use royalty free for the mass amounts of video they serve. Hence their push for AV1 instead of HEVC/h265.

• Thumb Up 2

Yeah.. idk my old 50 in tcl showed dolby vision being active on some hdr youtube videos..perhaps false reading..I think your right because this tv has actual meaningful hdr and cost twice as much so it better have proper hdr lol...

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 3 weeks later...

the hdr prompt showed up...i have not been able to get 4khdr with youtube on my new tv

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

i was just saying hdr in general worked....now nothing does

50in tcl tv from 2 years ago said dolby vision was on....i guess ill never know because im not buying another tv for a while

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I solved the issue finally @Etern4lyou were right my tcl tv was just falsely showing dolby being used.. no way a upper end sony tv vs a lower end no name tv would have less abilities 

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

I think I solved the issue finally @Etern4lyou were right my tcl tv was just falsely showing dolby being used.. no way a upper end sony tv vs a lower end no name tv would have less abilities 

I wouldn't generalise. The lower tier brands might be able to compete on features, but there probably will be a bit less polish, quality or durability, and more corner cases to deal with. It's amazing how much more complicated TVs have become, it's a bit strange actually.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Yeah was just generalizing...actually hisense has a 55u88h that is supposed to be amazing. Rtings and everyone is CLAIMING it gets up to 1500nits peak brightness with no blooming and a contrast ratio of over 10000 to one. Impressive

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled