NotebookTalk

Multi-GPU builds (2x4090 in 6 slots?)

Etern4l

Hello, quick question for anyone with multi-GPU build experience. Have people had any success running 2 slot cards next directly to each other (with no extra clearance in between)? What about 3 slot cards? I'm curious if 2 4090 FEs would fit and work reasonably well in 6 slots, particularly if not running under full load. This would have to operate 24/7 though.

• Bump 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

• 3 months later...

If you had a good case, Can't see why note. Make sure to have alot of fans blowing into the case from the front and all should be fine. I was going to use two 2070 supers until I found out that Arc 770 will mop the floor with most anything for the work I am doing.  Who knows...But I think you should be fine running two if you have the room in the case. 

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Ahhhh gotcha.  I cannot help in that regard.  I would figure if they can be linked they would be designed correctly to take advantage of the slots available too.  

So the professional cards can be stacked easily, you don't necessarily have to NVLink them, depending on the application. The reason is they are usually 2 slots or less and don't use as much power. The problem is more with stacking those high-powered geforce cards. Imagine 2x600W 4090 FEs with no space between the cards. Temps? 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

True. Plus the massive power supply you would need to run it all.  But imagine the power!  Would be fun! What kind of heat does one push?

On 10/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, Etern4l said:

I'm curious if 2 4090 FEs would fit and work reasonably well in 6 slots

one of our customers runs 2 x 3090, id imagine that physically 2 x 4090 can fit, 
but... second unit bus/lane speed, and power supply for 2 x 4090 may pose an issue, 

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

I wonder could you custom build a case with 2 power supplies in it?  have one for video cards and one for everything else?  Find the power on triggers in the plug and connect both supplies to it so you do not fry the board.  hhhhmmmmmmm Something to try on an old system 

14 minutes ago, kojack said:

I wonder could you custom build a case with 2 power supplies in it?  have one for video cards and one for everything else?

you should be able to use two power supplies, server cases are prebuilt with two power supplies,

you mainly need a board supporting two power supplies less concern about the case itself,

some consumer cases also have space, it will come down again to your board,
for manual integration investigate how miners daisey chain their power,

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

I am just wondering if you can connect to the wires from the MB that triggers the power supply?  and nothing else?  would be an interesting experiment. I know there are server boards etc, but I am just using a plain old consumer board, figure out which wires on the main plug of the board turns on the supply and connect the second supply to that....

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, didn't know this was a thing. Oh the video editing beast you could build....ha ha!

• Thumb Up 1