NotebookTalk

Samsung Galaxy Book Pro NP950XDB - start/wake issues

Steerpike

I've experienced at least 3 situations now where the laptop will go to sleep, and then be impossible (or difficult) to 'wake' or startup. Basically, the laptop seems 'dead' - pressing power has no effect.  A few days ago, I did a long, long press on power (30 seconds?) and finally got it to startup, and it seemed to be in some kind of 'Out Of Box' startup mode, asking for preferences, but after just a few such questions, things seemed to be back to normal - my files and apps where there.  Today I experienced a similar thing, and paid more attention. This time, I did several long-presses on power (but only about 10 seconds), and a couple of lid close/opens. Somewhat randomly, the second lid close/open triggered a startup situation (Samsung logo, etc). Previous context lost (ie, a clean startup, not from standby/hibernate).  

This is a pretty plain-vanilla windows 11 setup; the only thing I've done is enabled hibernate so I can truly put the guy to 'sleep' for long periods without using battery. Even though I've enabled and use hibernate from time to time, I'm pretty sure these issues have all arisen from letting the laptop enter 'modern standby'. 

So far, I don't have enough info to really post much of interest, but I wanted to get a thread going in case others have experienced this.  The event viewer is not very forthcoming; it shows that the 'previous shutdown was unexpected', but not much else. 

Edit To Add: 

Had another event this evening. Starting to see a pattern. Typically, since I bought the laptop, I have left it alone in regards to any 'power' actions, just leaving it with the lid open and letting it sleep / wake as it feels necessary, and there haven't been any issues.  But this past week, I'm on vacation and have been constantly closing the lid to 'put the laptop away' physically.  This evening, I closed the lid around 6:30pm, and opened the lid at 7:50pm, but it would not start. Had to do a 30+ second long press on power, at which point it had clearly done a 'clean start' (not wake). Event log shows 'previous shutdown not expected' or similar.  I then closed the lid at 8:03pm, re-opened at 9:10pm, and this time things were 'as expected' (sort of) - screen was already lit, and ready for my PIN. Event log shows 'entering modern standby'/reason: Lid, and 'exiting modern standby'/reason: lid.  I'm going to intentionally do some lid-closures instead of hibernating to see if I can see a pattern. 

That's frustrating and a little worrying. I've always been wary of Windows sleep mode ever since Windows was released and photos showed what could happen when a sleeping computer woke up while in a bag (badly deformed plastic where it had been heated). That said, I tend to use sleep overnight for the notebooks on my desk. My Samsung NP935 where I have stuck with Windows 10 has behaved very well. It goes quiet (although it's never very noisy) when I shut the screen and is ready for action when I open it. However, it's possible that there has been the occasional failure to wake up.

My current frustration is with my 2022 Gram 17 (with Windows 11) which, when put to sleep, keeps running the fan as if it isn't sleeping at all. My 2021 Gram 17 (still on Windows 10) goes quiet when I shut the display so the suspicion lies with Windows 11. I've disabled hybrid sleep and checked the power settings for any hardware which can wake the computer. I have dim recollection of the older Gram 17 having the occasional failure to wake up. These days, with so few status lights, it's difficult to tell if the computer is unresponsive or it's just the display which hasn't come on. I recall earlier this century there was a problem with some graphics hardware/software causing unreliable exit from sleep but, I would hope, such problems are well in the past.

I'm on W11.  So far, all my issues have been with 'lid close' actions. If I just leave it alone, it goes dark and quiet quite normally, and wakes fine.  But since I first had this issue, I've been intentionally 'lid-closing' it, several times a day, and most times it behaves quite normally - goes silent, cold, no sign of life. It's been about 3 days now since the last issue. 

For reference, this Samsung / W11 is almost plain-vanilla W11 (I'm kinda using it as a test case); all I've done is enabled hibernate, which is still a 'supported' feature (and I will probably revert to using hibernate before any lid close in the future, once I'm done testing).  But on my LG Gram 17 (2021, also W11), I performed various registry hacks to recover 'S3 sleep'.  With both laptops, I have never heard the fan continue once in 'sleep'.

Regarding "My current frustration is with my 2022 Gram 17 (with Windows 11) which, when put to sleep, keeps running the fan as if it isn't sleeping at all. " I'd take a look at event viewer / system, and look for events around the time in question.  'kernel-power' source entries are the most relevant (eg, "The system is entering modern standby, reason: Lid"), and then look at what was happening AFTER That message.  There's also one that says "Connectivity state in standby: Connected...". It's connected standby that can cause some issues, I believe. Note this 'connected standby' stuff is not unique to W11. 

On 10/20/2022 at 7:46 AM, Steerpike said:

IRegarding "My current frustration is with my 2022 Gram 17 (with Windows 11) which, when put to sleep, keeps running the fan as if it isn't sleeping at all. " I'd take a look at event viewer / system, and look for events around the time in question.  'kernel-power' source entries are the most relevant (eg, "The system is entering modern standby, reason: Lid"), and then look at what was happening AFTER That message.  There's also one that says "Connectivity state in standby: Connected...". It's connected standby that can cause some issues, I believe. Note this 'connected standby' stuff is not unique to W11. 

Thanks. Your comments prompted me to do some research and experiments. First I tried a registry entry to disable Modern Standby which resulted in Sleep having instant silence. However, when I woke the computer up if briefly showed my normal screen and then rebooted. So I re-enabled Modern Standby and looked for what part of it was keeping the computer awake. Disabling network connectivity didn't fix the problem so I re-searched through all the devices in Device Manager to find what could wake the computer and found two "Wake on ..." settings for the Wi-Fi adaptor which were set to enabled. I changed these to disabled and my Gram 17 is much more willing to stay asleep.

19 hours ago, John Ratsey said:

I changed these to disabled and my Gram 17 is much more willing to stay asleep.

More willing but not completely willing as Event Viewer showed the system log was being spammed through the night by entries starting "The description for Event ID 7025 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found." I updated the Wi-Fi driver with Intel's latest which, so far, seems to have got rid of that event.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, John Ratsey said:

More willing but not completely willing as Event Viewer showed the system log was being spammed through the night by entries starting "The description for Event ID 7025 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found." I updated the Wi-Fi driver with Intel's latest which, so far, seems to have got rid of that event.

Interesting ... I've been noticing those 'The description for Event ID ... Netwtw10 ...' for a long time; when I last tried to resolve them, the general opinion seemed to be, it's a bug from Microsoft and can be ignored.  I just took a look at my event log, and for me, the event IDs are 6062, 7003, 7021, 7025, 7026, and they all refer to 'the system cannot find the file specified'.  I'd love to stop them as they litter up the log.  How did you update the WiFi driver?  I just ran Samsung's update tool, and there's nothing obvious there.  Do you do the update from device manager, or elsewhere? 

Thanks

44 minutes ago, Steerpike said:

How did you update the WiFi driver?  I just ran Samsung's update tool, and there's nothing obvious there.  Do you do the update from device manager, or elsewhere? 

From Intel. However, the System log is now as cluttered as ever with netwtw10 errors. At the moment Modern Standby is winning the battle. I'm currently wondering whether to start something in the LG forum as my experience doesn't belong here but it's a more general Windows issue.

On my Samsung NP950, I have a slew of events from 'source' Netwtw10, with event IDs 6062, 7003, 7021, 7025, 7026, and they all start with 'The description for Event ID (x) from source Netwtw10 cannot be found'' and end with 'the system cannot find the file specified'.

On my LG Gram 17 (2021), I have the same events (source Netwtw10), same event IDs, but - the events are 'spelled out' - eg

Warning  6062  LSO Triggered

Info  7003 Roam Complete

Info  7021  Connection telemetry fields and available analysis

Info  7025  Dump after return from D3 before cmd

Info  7026  Dump after return from D3 after cmd

On both machines, they are categorized as either 'warning' or 'information', according to the code shown above. 

However - on my Samsung - there are HUNDREDS of such entries and they run throughout the night (during modern standby, presumably), whereas on the LG, there are only 'several' per hour. I'll have to research further to better understand this.  

Note - on my LG Gram 17, I've done the registry hack to disable modern standby / enable S3 sleep. 

I fired up my Samsung NP940 (W10) and didn't find any such entries. 

If you create a new thread on this, please link to it from here so I can follow it! 

Back to the focus of the thread - I haven't had any recurrences of the bad 'sleep' / 'wake' issues since I reported them here!  But - I've also returned home from the trip and now no longer need to be putting the laptop away every night ...