NotebookTalk

Asus G15 AMD Advantage Discussion Thread

Chastity

Hi everyone!  Came over here to look for some info on the Asus G15 laptops, as I have one coming to me tomorrow, and I find nothing here.  😞

So I thought I start the ball rolling.  The model I am getting was just on sale at Best Buy for $1099, and sports a 5980HX / 6800M 12GB, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 15" QHD IPS 165 Hz, delid with Liquid Metal and vapor chamber heatsink.

BestBuy Link

I was wondering if anyone else has one, and what snags or other quirks I should know about.

I will be installing NimeZ Adrenelin Drivers on it to enable Multi GPU mode for Win 11, so that I can enable some additional features on the dGPU like RSR.  (I don't know if RSR and ReLive are enabled with the standard package) I know that the USB-C port is direct wired to dGPU, so I have a USB-C to DP cable coming to connect my 4K panel with FreeSync.

I have my 32GB of RAM (DDR4-2933) and 2TB NVMe from my previous laptop which died 3 weeks after the extended warranty expired.  Still burned about that.  I was curious about BIOS options to allow me to OC the RAM to 3200?

I have the first G15 AA with the 5900HX and 1080p/300 Hz screen, which I purchased for $620 in open box "fair" condition. It was well used inside and out and didn't come with an AC adapter. I think the previous owner might have re-done the thermal paste because the sticker covering one of the heatsink screws was removed. They also stripped the captive screw in the corner and mangled the ribbon cables that connect the front LED light bar to the motherboard. The latter were in such bad shape I just pulled them out entirely. I found an original 280W power supply for $120 and an Intel AX210 WiFi card on Amazon, which added about $150 to the total. I had a 32 GB kit of 1Rx8 RAM and an extra 1 TB SSD on hand so those went in as well.

So far it's been working well save for one quirk/issue. I'll often use the laptop on WiFi then plug it via Ethernet on my desk. If I shut down the PC with the Ethernet cable connected, the next time I turn it on to use WiFi, the laptop will still think it's hardwired, and the Internet will refuse to work unless I reboot. At least I can work around it by disconnecting the wired cable before turning off the laptop. It's not the AX210 as the issue still occurs with the crappy stock Mediatek adapter. This probably needs to be resolved with a BIOS update, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Such a problem would normally be enough for me to return the laptop, but considering how cheap it was, I can live with it.

The BIOS itself is extremely basic with pretty much zero customization options so your 2933 MHz RAM will only run at that speed if it supports JEDEC timings.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

If the price goes back down to $1099 that's the best deal in the entire laptop market, IMO. Should be interesting over the next month re: holiday pricing. 

@saturnotaku, I feel like I am one step behind you on laptop choices, LOL. First with Legions, then the Blade, now with Asus. For $620 that's a no-brainer. Will be keeping my eyes open on potential deals. 

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

19 hours ago, jlp0209 said:

If the price goes back down to $1099 that's the best deal in the entire laptop market, IMO. Should be interesting over the next month re: holiday pricing. 

@saturnotaku, I feel like I am one step behind you on laptop choices, LOL. First with Legions, then the Blade, now with Asus. For $620 that's a no-brainer. Will be keeping my eyes open on potential deals. 

As of this morning it's back down to $1099 so you may want to snap it up if you're interested. I have a feeling Best Buy is wanting to clear out all their stock of this model since availability of Ryzen 6000 and Intel 12th-gen laptops is quite good right now.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

I saw it yesterday on Best Buy's Ebay portal that it was $1099, and now the main site has it at $1099, so yeah, I would snap up one of these.  (Well, I did!)

I added a 2TB 660p from my previous and now dead laptop, along with the HyperX 32GB DDR4-2936 CL17 that was in it, and it seems happy.  I have an AX210 on hand in case this Mediatek pisses me off.  🙂

3Dmark Time Spy 11,301

System updated to Win 11 22H2, Adrenalin 22.10.1 official, latest chipsets.  Going to connect her to my 4K@60 panel and see how well that works out.  Also want to try NimeZ Multi-GPU install option to get back ReLive and RSR.

In case you're not aware, the HDMI port is connected to the integrated GPU. To bypass graphic switching on an external display, you would need a Type-C to HDMI adapter/cable.

I ended up taking back that super-cheap G15 AA on the last day of BB's return policy mainly because the keyboard was missing inputs. At least 20-30 percent of the time, the spacebar and E keys wouldn't register. I went over to MicroCenter and picked up one of their refurbished Asus G15s with a 5900HX and RTX 3060. Took that back the next day because of software issues. Because I'm a masochist, I swapped it for their $1299 Legion 5 special. The main thing I was worried about is high-pitched fan whistle, and at least so far, my unit has practically none. It has Advanced Optimus, though annoyingly the fn+R shortcut doesn't work. In fact, there was no 60 Hz option at all. I tried creating one with CRU - for some reason that didn't work, but 75 Hz did so good enough I suppose.