NotebookTalk

Hobbies

cucubits

It may be interesting to hear what other activities we like (besides tinkering with our laptops). The more we know about each other, the more of a community we'll grow here... and it's always fun to get new ideas to eat up free time and thin out the wallet 😆

I've always been complaining there aren't enough hours during a day. Somehow I never get bored but on the flip side, I often find myself starting on too many adventures to handle in parallel.

- ever since high-school I've been on/off into the RC world. Some cars but mostly flying things. I like all of them, I build from balsa kits, I bought RTF planes, built drones, gliders. I've even delved into the gas engines world but mostly electric nowadays. Sadly I go flying more and more rarely lately and there are fewer of us left than about 5 years ago.

- 3D Printing is also a big part of my activities. I've been learning Fusion360 a lot and there's always some thing I need to work on and print, either to fix something around the apt, or for a plane or something related to the next item on the list 🙂

- this one is more recent but it doesn't seem to slow down. As many others from around the beginning of the pandemic, I started to learn about astronomy. It's amazing what you can see and how detailed you can get images of deep sky objects with the current technology available. Slowly I've gathered a few telescopes, camera, lots and lots of bits and pieces and whenever there's a clear night, I usually go out for a few hours next to the parking lot at our apartment. If there are others interested, it would be awesome to maybe open a separate Astronomy related thread and talk about whatever.

A cool little project I'm very proud of, the one connecting point 2 to 3 above, is this 3D Printed 8 inch telescope: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/704315-3d-printed-astronomy/page-23#entry10905513

Lots of time in Fusion360 and I think over 100 printing hours. It's working amazingly well, the only problem is, as mentioned, I can't find enough time in a day to use it to its fullest capabilities.

• Thumb Up 1

I have a nasty MMORPG hobby of sinking time into those; otherwise, I'm in the mech keyboard rabbit hole. I also tend to enjoy doing softmodding on game consoles (current focus is the Wii U, given I can't program), because who doesn't like running unsigned code on a console you love?

I also like putting Linux on more devices than I care to admit to. Overall, my hobbies stay kind of in the line of tech, but outside of that? Anime. I'm weeb trash.

• Thumb Up 2

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

11 minutes ago, Katja said:

I also like putting Linux on more devices than I care to admit to.

I'm guilty of this as well. I've got a little raspberry pi4 box automating various things around the apt (lights/fans) and I have Linux running on my NAS box too.

1 minute ago, cucubits said:

I'm guilty of this as well. I've got a little raspberry pi4 box automating various things around the apt (lights/fans) and I have Linux running on my NAS box too.

I haven't used a Raspberry Pi in a long time; the last one I used was an original Model B rev B, but I've thought about getting one for some time; currently though I'm looking at getting another laptop to do some hardware tinkering and also to use as a small workhorse.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

I enjoy watching anime and playing games.  Total nerd stuff.

For games, I typically go for Final Fantasy XIV (runs great on Apple Silicon Macs) or older consoles such as the Wii U and Xbox.

• Thumb Up 1
Mobile Tech: Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, M1 Pro, Late 2021) | Apple iPad Pro (11-inch, Cellular (AT&T), 2020) | Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip | Apple Watch SE
Portable Gaming: New Nintendo 3DS XL | Nintendo DSi LL
Automotive: 2010 Honda Accord EX-L with Navigation (2.4L) | 1992 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado (Crate 305)

On 1/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, cucubits said:

- this one is more recent but it doesn't seem to slow down. As many others from around the beginning of the pandemic, I started to learn about astronomy. It's amazing what you can see and how detailed you can get images of deep sky objects with the current technology available. Slowly I've gathered a few telescopes, camera, lots and lots of bits and pieces and whenever there's a clear night, I usually go out for a few hours next to the parking lot at our apartment. If there are others interested, it would be awesome to maybe open a separate Astronomy related thread and talk about whatever.

If you make an astronomy thread, I'd be interested in participating. I've loved astronomy since I was a kid. Never have owned a telescope, though I love stargazing; unfortunately, I can see few stars in the bright city where I live. But I have read quite a bit on astronomy and astrophysics (amateur-level reading, at least), and really enjoy YouTube channels like PBS SpaceTime. Good stuff.

• Thumb Up 1

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" NP940X5N - 15.0" 1080p IPS glossy touchscreen | Intel Coffeelake i7-8550U CPU | AMD Radeon 540 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8625 | S Pen

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro - 14" 1080p IPS matte screen | Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU | nVidia Pascal GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8260 | Thunderbolt 3 port | IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU

26 minutes ago, Prototime said:

If you make an astronomy thread, I'd be interested in participating. I've loved astronomy since I was a kid. Never have owned a telescope, though I love stargazing; unfortunately, I can see few stars in the bright city where I live. But I have read quite a bit on astronomy and astrophysics (amateur-level reading, at least), and really enjoy YouTube channels like PBS SpaceTime. Good stuff.

Great, I will open one and prepare some materials for it. Good idea.

I used to play Airsoft a lot, was my main hobby from 2006 till around 2016. Have been moving around quite a bit since 2016, so that hobby of mine had to be put on hold.

Other than that my hobbies are very much techy-geeky stuff.

I also like astronomy, though I never owned a telescope myself, so I'm limited to videos and documentaries mostly. I would be very much interested in an astronomy-focused thread here as well :)

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

4 minutes ago, cucubits said:

I started one today, posted some info and pics:

Yeah, as I finished typing my previous post I discovered your thread :) Looks really amazing. Thanks for sharing.

• Bump 1

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

Playing musical instruments is fun, especially when you can play whatever you'd like. Right now I'm mostly playing the French Horn, but I play Trumpet during the Football season when I march and occasionally play the Baritone Saxophone for fun. I've tried many times to play the Bassoon as I really like the sound and tone of it, but the fingerings are too complicated for me, the Saxophone is kind of my limit for how many fingerings/positions I can remember.   

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

My main two non-tech-related hobbies are cooking and outdoors activities, specifically hiking and bicycling.

Cooking is just great for quality of life, not to mention being able to eat deliciously without spending a fortune.  I've always enjoyed cooking and have gradually become better at it, but about the only good thing to come from 2020 was that cooking almost all my meals at home took my cooking to the next level.  Italian is my specialty, particularly making homemade sauces.  But I'll make a variety.  In 2020 I learned how to make good cream sauces and how to make my favorite Americanized Chinese dishes at home to replace take-out; in 2021 I expanded my repertoire of chicken dishes, especially marinades; this year my goal is to increase my proficiency in Indian cuisine.

Hiking and bicycling have also been great for quality of life.  I've been bicycling some during the warmer months for years, but broke my annual record five times over last year, clocking in at over 1500 miles (2500km).  A friend convinced me to try hiking in the Appalachians, and I caught the bug for that, too.  So I got into the habit of taking short-to-medium length trips to go hiking and/or cycling in a new locale last year; also a fun way to discover new, often smaller towns and cities.  For any Parks and Rec fans, Jerry wasn't wrong about Muncie being a great place to go on vacation.  They've got some amazing restaurants and breweries, and are located along the longest recreational trail in Indiana.

Now that it's winter I haven't really been cycling, but hiking in the snow is fun.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

7 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

My main two non-tech-related hobbies are cooking and outdoors activities, specifically hiking and bicycling.

I used to enjoy cooking quite a lot, even thought about doing that professionally at one point in life. But lately it's become more of a "chore" than a "hobby" for me, unfortunately. I just have way too many things going on during weekdays to be able to cook anything beyond "quick and simple" 3 times a day. But I try to cook something more "fancy" at least once a weekend.

I also love hiking and cycling, but mostly during warmer seasons.

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

11 hours ago, serpro69 said:

I used to enjoy cooking quite a lot, even thought about doing that professionally at one point in life. But lately it's become more of a "chore" than a "hobby" for me, unfortunately. I just have way too many things going on during weekdays to be able to cook anything beyond "quick and simple" 3 times a day. But I try to cook something more "fancy" at least once a weekend.

I also love hiking and cycling, but mostly during warmer seasons.

It definitely requires some time.  For that reason, I prefer dishes that make enough to have leftovers, and if it's a few meals worth of leftovers instead of just one, all the better.  Lunch today was leftovers from Wednesday, dinner will be either more of the same or leftovers from yesterday, and whichever I don't choose can be lunch tomorrow.  Although yesterday's cooking was "quick and simple".

But I also have relatively free weekday evenings, especially in these days when a lot of people still aren't back to their pre-pandemic social schedules.  No kids is probably the biggest single thing ensuring I have time in the evenings.

I might have to start a cycling/hiking/outdoors thread.  I got a hike in today, 2.7 miles which is shorter than usual, but it finished off a much longer trail in one direction.

• Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Super cool idea for a thread. :)  So my main ones are Cars, Computers, and Photography.  But these all have their own niches like mech keyboards (I'm on all 3 communities), automotive makes/marques/clubs/etc (I'm a member of almost everything--yes, all the hundreds of forums out there including my own, Huntsville Car Scene.com which is in a hiatus while I work on some family issues), and photography sites as well like dpreview, fredmiranda, etc.

Indian cooking was something I never expected to find in this thread, and my wife is actually an excellent cook for south Indian dishes (because she is south Indian, lol).  But she's really great at making the dishes and has even made some custom food for me to suit my tastes that is just wonderful.  And it's not just Indian cooking that she plays with as she's made an awesome chicken soup from scratch and we once made a shrimp linguine together that was just as good as a restaurant.  Definitely reach out if you want some recipes or links that my wife uses for some of her creations. :)

• Thumb Up 2

My main hobbies besides the obvious of computers and gaming are Photography and Cooking, spent a long time improving at this and think that I've got pretty good at it. Watch a lot of stuff on YouTube for tips and trick especially J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, recently been trying to get good a bread baking specifically. I also code but not so much in my spare time recently as doing full time at work takes the shine off it a bit.

Not exactly a hobby but I love to learn about engineering stuff too, videos on how rockets/planes/buildings/road whatever bit of machinery etc are created and how challenges were overcome. 

• Thumb Up 1