NotebookTalk

HDX Dragon 20" multimedia laptop

1610ftw

Does anybody still have this?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Pavilion-HDX-9320EG-Notebook.9461.0.html

Sound is stunning on this one as is display size, overall a huge multimedia laptop with socketed CPU and GPU. Not put together that well when it comes to servicing or upgrading but that 16:10 20" screen is something even though I only have the 1680 x 1050 version.

Mine hasn't seens much use recently and to remedy that I wanted to set it up in a room where I mostly need to access virtual machines with it so it will see very little load by itself which is preferable with only a dual core processor. Unfortunately it still gets quite loud as there does not seem to be any way to control its fans in stock and it is needlessly cooling down the CPU to mid 30s at the expensive of noise levels.

If anybody has tested and confirmed as working any third party software to tone down the fans that would be great. I cannot power it up at the moment but I tried unsuccessfully to control its fans with at least three different programs but no joy.

The operating system is W10 by the way, has been updated by the previous owner and it does seem to work pretty well for my needs - that is unless W10 killed some kind of fan control feature 😄

• Confused 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:08 PM, 1610ftw said:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Pavilion-HDX-9320EG-Notebook.9461.0.html

Sound is stunning on this one as is display size, overall a huge multimedia laptop with socketed CPU and GPU. Not put together that well when it comes to servicing or upgrading but that 16:10 20" screen is something even though I only have the 1680 x 1050 version.

Mine hasn't seens much use recently and to remedy that I wanted to set it up in a room where I mostly need to access virtual machines with it so it will see very little load by itself which is preferable with only a dual core processor. Unfortunately it still gets quite loud as there does not seem to be any way to control its fans in stock and it is needlessly cooling down the CPU to mid 30s at the expensive of noise levels.

If anybody has tested and confirmed as working any third party software to tone down the fans that would be great. I cannot power it up at the moment but I tried unsuccessfully to control its fans with at least three different programs but no joy.

The operating system is W10 by the way, has been updates to that by the previous owner and it does seem to work pretty well for my needs - that is unless W10 killed some kind of fan control feature 😄

Wooaahh! 😳 Reminds me of the first generation mobile phones.

33 minutes ago, DarginMahkum said:

Wooaahh! 😳 Reminds me of the first generation mobile phones.

Let me tell you that is is very nice to have a screen of that size whereas nobody would want those early mobile phone screens back! A small downside is that the whole thing weighs over 7 kg so about 2 1/2 times the weight of your upcoming HP laptop 😄

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, 1610ftw said:

The operating system is W10 by the way, has been updated by the previous owner and it does seem to work pretty well for my needs - that is unless W10 killed some kind of fan control feature 😄

Not sure of a Fan speed program.

But, you can check the bios to see if you have the setting -" Always Maximum VGA fan Speed"- Enabled by mistake

Mines running W10 too, idles at like 35c, but the fans are real quiet.

Its only a T8300 CPU  with an Ati GPU thou. Not sure if yours is a higher up cpu.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, The Player Zero said:

Not sure of a Fan speed program.

But, you can check the bios to see if you have the setting -" Always Maximum VGA fan Speed"- Enabled by mistake

Mines running W10 too, idles at like 35c, but the fans are real quiet.

Its only a T8300 CPU  with an Ati GPU thou. Not sure if yours is a higher up cpu.

Nope, that wasn't active but the GPU seems pretty hot at ca. 60°C. Mine has the Nvidia - I think it is the 8800. Time to repaste first but then I have always been annoyed by HP modulating the fans much too aggressively even though I am a fan of their DTR build quality and serviceability and of course of this one.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:21 AM, IamTechknow said:

Wow, this reminds me of the 20 inch Dell XPS M2010 laptop way back in 2006, which had its own wireless/unattached keyboard. I can't tell by the video but the screen bezels seem to be pretty big.

They are massive - you could probably fit a 21.5" screen in there:

image.png.7441d1f4067eb3287ea797f511c2d110.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I feel a bit dumb - looked like a normal picture to me 😄

That screen may indeed be bigger but not sure I like the way this was done - it is not really an elegant solution to say the least.

So kudos for the other stuff but not a fan of the screen that I would like to see in the original case.