NotebookTalk

Legion Y545 issues

Theguywhobea

So I recently purchased a Y545 real cheap because it was supposed to be broken. Well turns out it is. I have spent hours and hours doing everything I can think of, but still can't really figure it out.

At first it was running an old BIOS version, so after thinking I was having driver problems forever I realized it was probably some BIOS corruption or something and that was causing the near constant BSOD loops. Well I finally managed to stay in windows long enough to flash the most up to date BIOS, and it rebooted and said everything was good. BIOS menu looks fine now and reports the correct version. However it still won't boot into any OS. Linux kernel panics, and Windows BSOD's.

I can however get it to boot into windows for a little bit if I pull the CMOS battery out. That always assures the next boot will work. If I have the laptop unplugged it will run for quite a while before bluescreening, if I plug it in it will bluescreen pretty quick.

Is this still some kind of BIOS corruption? Is this even a fixable issue?

Random blue screens are usually a sign of failing/failed RAM.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

23 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

Random blue screens are usually a sign of failing/failed RAM.

While I do agree, the BSODs aren't really random at this point, I can basically count on it to bluescreen now.

And I have tried several sets of RAM in various configs, and verified that they all work in other laptops. I tried a different charger, I tried a different battery, I tried different SSD's. I have tried basically every BIOS option I can think of.

What is the specific blue screen error? Install the program WhoCrashed to analyze the memory dump.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

5 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

What is the specific blue screen error? Install the program WhoCrashed to analyze the memory dump.

I can't get windows to stay up long enough to run a program install.

It's typically SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and sometimes it will say it was due to ACPI.SYS

Other times it's some KMODE exception error.