NotebookTalk

Dell xps 8940 build for creative work!

kojack

Hey everybody,

Just giving a run down on my XPS workstation for doing creative work. it's a Dell XPS 8940 with the 10700 i7. It originally came with 16 gb of ram, 512gb ssd for program/os drive and a 2 tb HDD for storage. It has a RTX 2070 super graphics card in (one of the main reasons I bought instead of built), and it's a nice looking compact system. 

It didn't take long for me to start upgrading to the system I needed compared to the system I bought. I quickly swapped out the cooler and fans for Noctua units for slient working. I repasted the CPU with noctua paste as well. I also added the VRM cooler heatsink that never came on my system as well. The machine runs much cooler now with all of the brown goodies inside. I re-routed some cable work as well. 

After, I started swapping other parts. First up was the storage. I swapped the 512gb drive with a 4tb Hynix SSD and swapped out the 2tb with an 8tb HDD for finished project storage. Next up was the ram. The 16gb was pulled in favor of 128gb of patriot ram. This makes the system much quicker doing photo, video and graphic work that I do now. I also added a firewire port in the rear for my old MiniDV camera as well. 

Overall, this system was bought, upgraded and used with budget in mind. I am currently swapping my office around and upgrading the space to make it more up to date for when I start doing some youtube work for different things.  I want the space to look great and feel like a place I want to work it. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Woah I'm jealous.

I was thinking of upgrading my omen 16 to 64gb of ram and 2tb ssd on top of the stock 1 tb..thoughts? Is 64gb worth it. Mind you I don't do photo editing much but I might get into it.  Thanks for sharing your build great having you back..also if things get quiet head on over the desktop benchmark thread it's basically NBT chat box

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I would upgrade if you need to. If you see something that is maxing out etc, then by all means.  If it's all working great, why waste the coin. Video editing and graphic creative work is why I bought and upgraded this little rig.  I am running 2 24" dell ultra sharps off it with one being touch which I love for doing editing work with.  I went with 128gb of ram because I was future proofing a bit, but the need is there when running Reslove and other intensive programs. 

On the total flipside, if you like tinkering and it brings you joy, like it does me, then GIVER on the mods.  I still have to set up my system to save all my files etc to the big drive instead of my SSD.  

In the end, it's all about budget and need.  If you have both or at least one and a half, go for the mods.  

Dude I'm poor. I'm in the 1 percent of the poor side. But 64gb for 200 does seem tempting..what can I use it for

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

What do you do with your computers now? I batch process images, create logo, graphics, book layouts, magazine layouts website graphics, videos etc.  I am still working on a television program as well.  I am still conducting research on the topic I have in mind and it keeps getting bigger and bigger.  Very interesting.  So, I use all that my PC's have to offer, For someone just surfing the net, and doing basic tasks....even 4gb is fine.  That's what my wifes little dell has and it skips along no issues. 

I make nature music and beats for zen music relaxation music so I need alot of memory over 16gb as well as the odd logo...I don't know gaming with spotify in the background....16gb seems like enough...if I was doing photo editing i might need 32gb but im not not yet at least...im thinking of doing a youtube channel.....alot of money to be made and besides it would be fun

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 12/27/2022 at 10:32 PM, ryan said:

i notice you mention creative work alot....what exactly do you do

I do photography, videography, graphics creation, CAD design for wooden furniture etc, online marketing, my wife and I have a clothing company we are starting in Jan. and more. Plus, for right now I work at bell 20hrs a week. To top it all off I write articles for magazines and websites, books and other publications.  I have a wide variety of things I rely on my computers for because I want to be home based and self sufficient so we can be with our son 100 percent of the time.  He has a year left in school then he's home, so we are building our business brands NOW for when that time comes.  

We are putting everything into place to be able to travel, work and have time with him for the rest of our lives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryan said:

shouldnt you be rich>?

why work at bell?

Well, considering I am just getting my businesses off the ground now. Don't get me started.  I owned a previous construction company that had 20-50 million in sales a year.  Took 3 jobs (I told my father, who worked with me, not to take these) in the final year, and tanked our company.  Sold what was left, put it into another business that I got cornholed 4000 g in 3 jobs.  Then, I thought I wanted to just go to work and collect a paycheck. I started working at Canadian tire doing the small engine mechanic work for them at 15 bucks an hr.  It Was fine for the first few weeks, then they put me on parts.  I HATED it.  Quit there and went to a local hardware store, enjoyed that for a while, again until they fired a slack warehouse worker, and put me doing HIS deliveries plus all my work inside the store.  Covid happened and I never went back there (thank God.).  That brings me to now.  I grabbed the bell sales job when the ole CERB covid benefits ran out.  The pay is great.  I make the same if not more than my wife who works in healthcare with the government. I only work 20hrs a wk too.  So, the gig is OK.  I just hate working for others.  I cannot handle having a boss.  I spent my entire life being the boss at work and being able to have freedom for my family.  

SOOOOOOOOO, I have begun working on getting our businesses up and running these past few months.  They are going online at the end of January or February.  Once these are working for us, I will leave Bell and again, have our life we want back.  

That answer your questions?  Basically, my professional life story for the past 15 years condensed into a few sentences. 

interesting? thanks for that

if you made 20-50 mil in sales why switch/ why not just do the same thing over with the experience

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

16 hours ago, ryan said:

interesting? thanks for that

if you made 20-50 mil in sales why switch/ why not just do the same thing over with the experience

Did you read where the company went basically bankrupt from those last three jobs?  It is to long and hard to explain what happend here, but lets just say those three jobs (gigantic S&!Tstorm) bankrupted our company. We sold the rights to the building line we were selling for, and some equipment.  We live in a small town of 18,000 people, there is one other commercial construction company here. I could not just go find another job.  It is what it is.  I am happy, making enough cash where I can not invest in my new businesses and be based from home in a year or so.  It's all good.  

• Thumb Up 1

sorry I didnt understand.

yeah I guess I was always under the impression companies also have insurance

sorry I just can't wrap my head around having millions then being broke but I guess stuff does happen. I used to be fine now im not.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yes, it does happen.  20 million in sales is not 20 million in PROFIT.  two different things.  We had to pay the building manufacturer etc.  Its def. not 20 million in MY bank account

yeah but your profit margins should be above 1 percent. 1 percent of 50 000 000 is 500 000. thats alot of cash....could buy you a home just about anywhere and thats off one job

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

You don't get what I am saying.  I will bow out of this conversation now. Thanks.  

• Thumb Up 1