NotebookTalk

Software/hardware for getting data off dead or damaged phones

kojack

I have been working part time at Bell now for almost a year and there have been many many people come in with dead or severely damaged devices with alot of important data on them. We (at the store) do not have any means to retrieve this data. Is there some software or hardware that can be used to get this information off their phones and onto a USB drive so they have it in their possession?

Someone locally has a cellebrite unit for sale.  I have been trying to get information on this as it may be the thing I am looking for to help with data recovery. Does anyone know if this unit will do what I am looking for?

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• 2 weeks later...

NO, I worked for bell 15 years ago, and I work for them again. Again, no.  It's for getting data off of peoples phones who have their lifetime of images and what not lost.  When I worked for bell before, phones did not even have cameras,  now....nobody backs anything up and people are losing photos etc of loved ones who have passed away etc. If their phone does not turn on and be able to be navigated with, I cannot get their memories back.  

It's funny how everyone automatically goes to CREEP.  Instead of going to oh look, there are pictures of my loved one before they died, I wish i could get those back.  I had an older couple come in about a month or so ago, and their daughter was going to court for something.  They NEEDED documents that was stored on their dead iPhone. No worky, no documents.  I lucked out this time, and contact the guy we send people to for battery an screen replacements.  He put in another battery and screen, and got the phone fired up. 

So NO.  It's not CREEPY, it's helping someone get important items back of their crappy technology that breaks easily.  I also set up cloud services for each and everyone of these people afterwards and explain to them how it works.  At least then, they are protected moving forward for only a few dollars a month.  

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses