NotebookTalk

Browser bookmarks sync

Eban

Hello, looking for opinions.

I have several laptops (who doesn't here) and I really only use Brave browser. 

I was looking for a better way to sync all my bookmarks across the different laptops.

Doing some research  A quick search found this option Everhelper 

Does anyone have any experience with it? Other method suggestions?

Thank you

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Better than? Have you tried the built-in sync functionality? IMO brave has a pretty good one. IIRC you can do a two-way or one-way sync between multiple devices (incl mobile). Worked pretty well for me, but it's been awhile since I've used it last.

• Thanks 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

2 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Better than? Have you tried the built-in sync functionality? IMO brave has a pretty good one. IIRC you can do a two-way or one-way sync between multiple devices (incl mobile). Worked pretty well for me, but it's been awhile since I've used it last.

Oh cool. I had really never used built-in sync, even forgot it was there.....trying it now

Thanks

• Bump 1

• 2 months later...

I would be curious about this topic as well - I use both Vivaldi and Firefox for various reasons, and it would be nice to have synced bookmarks across them.

Everhelper seems to offer this.  I did some research on them and found they've based in Cleveland, Ohio (so at least they won't be selling my bookmarks to Russia), and they neither say they will sell your bookmarks to advertisers, nor that they won't.  They do note that they'll share your e-mail with their partner who manages their e-mail list.

They do note that they use BCrypt hashes on passwords, which is a good thing, but they don't specify whether they encrypt your bookmarks in the data center used to sync them, which means they probably don't.

By comparison, Vivaldi has a great blog post where they show how Vivaldi, Brave, and Firefox securely encrypt your synced data, whereas Chrome does not (as of November, 2018) unless you dig into the settings to enable that option.  Firefox's post on the same topic notes that Opera also doesn't encrypt bookmarks (as of November, 2018).

Based on that, I'm inclined to conclude that Everhelper isn't as secure as the built-in bookmark syncing tools in most browsers (by browser count, not market share), which is a shame as it sounds legitimately useful.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

3 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

I would be curious about this topic as well - I use both Vivaldi and Firefox for various reasons, and it would be nice to have synced bookmarks across them.

Everhelper seems to offer this.  I did some research on them and found they've based in Cleveland, Ohio (so at least they won't be selling my bookmarks to Russia), and they neither say they will sell your bookmarks to advertisers, nor that they won't.  They do note that they'll share your e-mail with their partner who manages their e-mail list.

They do note that they use BCrypt hashes on passwords, which is a good thing, but they don't specify whether they encrypt your bookmarks in the data center used to sync them, which means they probably don't.

By comparison, Vivaldi has a great blog post where they show how Vivaldi, Brave, and Firefox securely encrypt your synced data, whereas Chrome does not (as of November, 2018) unless you dig into the settings to enable that option.  Firefox's post on the same topic notes that Opera also doesn't encrypt bookmarks (as of November, 2018).

Based on that, I'm inclined to conclude that Everhelper isn't as secure as the built-in bookmark syncing tools in most browsers (by browser count, not market share), which is a shame as it sounds legitimately useful.

:classic_blink:

Damn....I never even thought to check on my bookmark security! I didn't realise it was a thing.

I ended up using the in built sync on brave browser (thanks to @serpro69 for the heads up)

• Bump 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:43 PM, Eban said:

:classic_blink:

Damn....I never even thought to check on my bookmark security! I didn't realise it was a thing.

I ended up using the in built sync on brave browser (thanks to @serpro69 for the heads up)

If you work in IT long enough... or is it read enough articles about companies being breached? - then you tend to start working how secure data will be before uploading it to the cloud.  If I were a hacker looking to profile someone, their bookmarks would be a nice piece of information to have.

Although speaking of bookmarks, anyone who uses LastPass has already been pwned in that regard.  Apparently they don't encrypt the URLs of sites that users store passwords for.  My takeaway isn't "the cloud is doomed", though, but that proper security practices do matter.  Of course identifying whether proper security practices are followed is not easy, so the easy option is, "don't trust the cloud"... but being able to sync passwords cross-browser is useful enough that if there were such a service that I trusted to be storing the data more securely than just tossing it in an S3 bucket or AWS database unencrypted, I'd be tempted to try it.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)