NotebookTalk

RTX 4000 mobile series officially released.

VEGGIM

Remember when higher wattage = higher performance. Those days are now dead and Nvidia is scamming people hard..

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 2

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

it looks like there is a difference between 40w-100w and no difference between 100w-140w. not sure if its because the 140w card is only pulling 100w or that the chip is maxing its envelope for performance at 100w kinda like overvolting gpus back in the day. 1.1v might be faster than 1v but 1.2v is no different than 1.1v

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 5/2/2023 at 9:57 PM, KING19 said:

Remember when higher wattage = higher performance. Those days are now dead and Nvidia is scamming people hard..

Yep, the blind ones didn't see this come. Even when I and a few warned what was to come for Jokebooks, they acted like ostriches. They all put their heads in the sand and hoped for the best. I didn't need see in the crystal ball a few years ago to see this would happen. Neither did @Mr. Foxor @Ashtrix 

Crystal Ball Illustration GIF by Parker Jackson

And the laptop gaming jokey's won't be the only CONSUMERS (gamers) that will be scammed by Nvidia and AMD. Also some of the pc gamers will get similar treatments.... 8GB graphics cards is so 2015 (we are now in 2023). When will they (the people) stop act as ostriches?🤔

Gigabyte EEC Listing Confirms AMD RX 7600, Nvidia RTX 4060 Ti Cards for Launch
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-eec-listing-confirms-amd-rx-7600-nvidia-rtx-4060-ti-cards-for-launch

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

15 hours ago, Bullit said:

He only tests games.

Yep, and modern (gaming) laptops fail in that task 🙂 Imagine how this would be appreciated also for gaming desktop cards within same SKUs. 

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

On 5/2/2023 at 6:22 PM, ryan said:

it looks like there is a difference between 40w-100w and no difference between 100w-140w. not sure if its because the 140w card is only pulling 100w or that the chip is maxing its envelope for performance at 100w kinda like overvolting gpus back in the day. 1.1v might be faster than 1v but 1.2v is no different than 1.1v

Like Jarrod said in the video the GPUs are being voltage limited and its by design. You're basically wasting money for the higher wattage version.

23 hours ago, Papusan said:

Yep, the blind ones didn't see this come. Even when I and a few warned what was to come for Jokebooks, they acted like ostriches. They all put their heads in the sand and hoped for the best. I didn't need see in the crystal ball a few years ago to see this would happen. Neither did @Mr. Foxor @Ashtrix 

Crystal Ball Illustration GIF by Parker Jackson

And the laptop gaming jokey's won't be the only CONSUMERS (gamers) that will be scammed by Nvidia and AMD. Also some of the pc gamers will get similar treatments.... 8GB graphics cards is so 2015 (we are now in 2023). When will they (the people) stop act as ostriches?🤔

Gigabyte EEC Listing Confirms AMD RX 7600, Nvidia RTX 4060 Ti Cards for Launch
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-eec-listing-confirms-amd-rx-7600-nvidia-rtx-4060-ti-cards-for-launch

Damn... personally i dont expect a mid range GPU to have more than 8GBs VRAM. It seems to be aimed at 1080p and 1440p gamers. Even older GPUs would go overboard with the VRAM amount because NVIDIA and AMD was tricking people to make them think that higher VRAM amounts means higher performance

Also this is worst than the VRAM amount.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-4060-ti-retailer-listed-specs-look-worse-than-rtx-3060-ti

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

Clearly Nvidia doesn't give a damn about those pleb gamers who cannot afford a 4090-powered desktop (a 4090 laptop is acceptable, and thus granted a generous 256 bit bus).  It's all about cashing in on the AI. If things go the way of crypto mining there (probably not for a while), they will just cut an exec or two and the next guy will issue a statement explaining AI has always been a problematic technology and they never truly believed in it. They will say they love gamers so much they will bring the 256 bit bus back lol, but for now that's reverse science fiction.

• Haha 4

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

On 5/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, Papusan said:

Yep, and modern (gaming) laptops fail in that task 🙂 Imagine how this would be appreciated also for gaming desktop cards within same SKUs. 

Well i am interested to see what are results in Blender Optix Render, DaVinci Resolve, Unreal Engine.

It is weird that people that are supposedly at forefront of technology - so disruptive - are so keen on labels: this is a gaming laptop , this is a workstation etc. Instead of independent thinking they follow labels.

It is quite bizarre, a GPU today is a worktool too.

• Thumb Up 1

12 hours ago, Bullit said:

Well i am interested to see what are results in Blender Optix Render, DaVinci Resolve, Unreal Engine.

It is weird that people that are supposedly at forefront of technology - so disruptive - are so keen on labels: this is a gaming laptop , this is a workstation etc. Instead of independent thinking they follow labels.

The problem is not labels but that the cards do not use all of the advertised power for certain applications. If I buy a 140W card I do expect it to use that power for everything I choose to do on it.

Sure there will be diminishing returns at some point but that is different than these artificial limitations.

• Thumb Up 2

21 hours ago, Bullit said:

Agree laptops shouldn't be viewed as gaming tools only, but that's all the more reason to scrutinize them, and not accept unnecessary limitations. That said, a lot of the laptops look like they are geared towards sedentary gamer kids or something, therefore you get features such as RGB lighting and thin and light. As if the  laptop can't be too heavy, or the gamer won't be able to lift it up and put it on the desk or his laps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

Agree laptops shouldn't be viewed as gaming tools only, but that's all the more reason to scrutinize them, and not accept unnecessary limitations. That said, a lot of the laptops are geared towards sedentary gamer kids, therefore you get features such as RGB lighting and thin and light. Like the  laptop can't be too heavy, or the gamer won't be able to lift it up and put it on the desk or his laps. 

Who cares about only being able to use 70% of TGP for his favorite game when he can always have 100% of RGB - laptop gamers need to have their priorities in order. 😄

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bullit said:

When Jarrod does his reviews he also tests non-gaming 3D workloads especially content creation apps. I agree with you that a GPU is also a worktool but if people are going to use it for work too they'll avoid buying a laptop that screams gaming laptop in looks and design. Some gaming laptops like the Lenovo Legion series looks more like a thinkpad/business laptop more than a gaming laptop

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Well you can turn off that RGB stuff in most laptops. And indeed one of factors (a small one ) in my Legion choice was the non gaming appearance. Still that  review compartmentalization that bureaucrats love so much is detrimental to users choices that have many variances in their lives.

• Thumb Up 1

I don't think people buy laptops for rgb. But what's wrong with rgb?

Thin and light a con? It would then be good to have a laptop the size of a freezer by the same logic.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 5/13/2023 at 2:45 AM, ryan said:

I don't think people buy laptops for rgb. But what's wrong with rgb?

Thin and light a con? It would then be good to have a laptop the size of a freezer by the same logic.

Thin and light is always a con as whatever (relatively) great cooling solution a company comes up with in a thin and light could be better in a properly sized laptop. 

Add to that the space needed for more drives, memory and a big battery that can be readily accessed and a non-destructive way to open the device and you have a lot of factors that make thin and light undesirable.

If one was to construct a proper 18" DTR I would draw the line at something like 7lbs and 3cm high at the back - anything less than that will just be too compromised and make the wrong choices just for looks.

With a certain minimum height it is also quite easy to stack memory and SSDs which allows double the drives we see in a thin and light. The HP Zbook G9 and G10 show that and they are also quite easy to open. They have other issues but they certainly got that one right and with the stacked drive design we could even go up to 6 NVME drives for serious mobile workstations.

• Thumb Up 2

Yeah but you can't really have both. Either you buy laptops for portability or power. Both is an oxymoron. I want to be a short but tall enough man to slam dunk.

• Bump 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 hours ago, ryan said:

Yeah but you can't really have both. Either you buy laptops for portability or power. Both is an oxymoron. I want to be a short but tall enough man to slam dunk.

Obviously you will get a certain amount of portability with a certain amount of other features like battery life, performance, screen size and so on, it is for you to decide what is more important.

Except that it isn't beyond a certain point as performance, features and capabilities have been reduced compared to what we used to have both in relative and absolute terms.

I think the companies just tried to follow Apple in defining what "portable" means. Clearly, lighter is better everything else being equal, but of course things are not equal once you cut the laptop dimensions and size from 3kg to 2kg. 3kg is still very portable, but of course a bit less convenient. The modern world is all about convenience: no need to do work, robots will do it for us; no need to think, AI will do that for us etc. Where does that take us? That's pretty clear: no need to exist, AI will do that for us too, and do it better.

• Thumb Up 3

-- Max Tegmark

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

I think the companies just tried to follow Apple in defining what "portable" means. Clearly, lighter is better everything else being equal, but of course things are not equal once you cut the laptop dimensions and size from 3kg to 2kg. 3kg is still very portable, but of course a bit less convenient. The modern world is all about convenience: no need to do work, robots will do it for us; no need to think, AI will do that for us etc. Where does that take us? That's pretty clear: no need to exist, AI will do that for us too, and do it better.

Mankind used to strive against and grow with obstacles and now grown men balk at lifting a 3kg laptop that used to be considered the lower end in weight for a 17" form factor - "it's a behemoth":

https://me.pcmag.com/en/laptops/14160/ces-2023-hands-on-the-asus-rog-strix-scar-18-is-a-mega-powered-xxl-size-gaming-laptop

Ridiculous. At least Alienware has stemmed the tide with a heavier offering but then it is still Alienware so they pull so much other crap with the m18 that I cannot consider it a viable option either.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Mankind used to strive against and grow with obstacles and now grown men balk at lifting a 3kg laptop that used to be considered the lower end in weight for a 17" form factor - "it's a behemoth":

https://me.pcmag.com/en/laptops/14160/ces-2023-hands-on-the-asus-rog-strix-scar-18-is-a-mega-powered-xxl-size-gaming-laptop

Ridiculous. At least Alienware has stemmed the tide with a heavier offering but then it is still Alienware so they pull so much other crap with the m18 that I cannot consider it a viable option either.

Yea true. Not only the weight but they complain about thickness even though its still pretty thin as hell like most modern desktop replacements. A real behemoth would be the old alienwares and even the old Toshiba Satellite X205 aka Qosmio which my brother had. That thing was thick as hell and ran very hot. Good times!.

@PapusanLooks like NVIDIA are releasing a 16GB VRAM version of the RTX 4060Ti

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-4060-Ti-rumoured-to-arrive-with-two-VRAM-configurations.716155.0.html

• Thumb Up 2

Current Laptop:

58 minutes ago, KING19 said:

Yep. Have already mentioned this here. God bless those stupids that will buy the 8GB version…. https://notebooktalk.net/topic/109-official-benchmark-thread-post-it-here-or-it-didnt-happen-d/?do=findComment&comment=32270&_rid=79

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KING19 said:

Yea true. Not only the weight but they complain about thickness even though its still pretty thin as hell like most modern desktop replacements. A real behemoth would be the old alienwares and even the old Toshiba Satellite X205 aka Qosmio which my brother had. That thing was thick as hell and ran very hot. Good times!.

Haha, yes I remember the Qosmio - that one was big but not really great.

I think the last really big - and ridiculously thick - laptop was the MSI GT83 but after SLI died MSI saw no justification for it any more.

• Thumb Up 1

On 5/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, ryan said:

Portability and power scales are not the same for everyone. There are persons that already achieved maximum power with great portability, like for example some writer that only need enough power to edit some texts.