NotebookTalk

RTX 4000 mobile series officially released.

VEGGIM

Dell, Razer, Asus, MSI, HP, Lenovo, all have their direct sites you can order from,
you can also use subsidiaries like Amazon Newegg B&H etc.,
or brick and mortar walk-ins like BestBuy but selection there will be limited,

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

Tomorrow is the release of many models, along with the 9th. Then you should start seeing more configs show up

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

More Laps: M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)

DT: Aurora R4 (i9 10980XE/RTX 4070) | Area-51 R2 (22-Core Xeon/2x Titan V) | SR-2 [2x6-Core/3x980Ti] | Mac Studio

CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Huge price increase this gen.

GT77 12900HX 3080Ti = $7899AUD, discounted as low as $6499AUD

GT77 13980HX 4090 32GB RAM = $9599AUD

• Sad 1

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

15 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

Reviews are starting to come out. HUB tests the 4090 while Jarrod's Tech compares the 4080 vs the 3080 Ti.

That is a pretty big jump over the RTX 3080ti and even the RTX 4080 is faster than the RTX 3080ti. Add DLSS 3 aka Frame generation to that you're going to have great performance. Too bad the laptop versions gets destroyed by the desktop versions and it doesnt justify the crazy prices for them.... Still waiting on the RTX 4070 and RTX 4060 laptops to hit the market

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

42 minutes ago, KING19 said:

That is a pretty big jump over the RTX 3080ti and even the RTX 4080 is faster than the RTX 3080ti. Add DLSS 3 aka Frame generation to that you're going to have great performance. Too bad the laptop versions gets destroyed by the desktop versions and it doesnt justify the crazy prices for them.... Still waiting on the RTX 4070 and RTX 4060 laptops to hit the market

It gives an idea what could be accomplished if notebooks really had a proper 4090 chip and 24GB memory. Performance would probably be about on par with a 4080 desktop card and then give or take a few percentage points depending on TGP.

5 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

i paid close to $4500 for my Precision 7770 with 12950HX, 3080Ti 16GB, 16GB SoDIMM ram, 256GB M.2, and 4k 120Hz, that's a very basic configuration maybe a month old by now (retail price for the unit is over $9k and also includes a 5 year manufacture bumper to bumper coverage),

And that was a essentially a sale, since you purchased previous gen hardware. $4500 spent on a desktop a month ago would yield 2-3x the GPU power (and more VRAM) and roughly 2x the CPU power, not to mention the improvements in the RAM department. Yes, if you absolutely need a laptop or just love them, then you spend what you have to spend, and time your purchases as best you can - just highlighting the ridiculous absence of value there compared to desktops.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Sniffy said:

Huge price increase this gen.

GT77 12900HX 3080Ti = $7899AUD, discounted as low as $6499AUD

GT77 13980HX 4090 32GB RAM = $9599AUD

Looks like the LED display and the 4090 together have now made the GT77 the most overpriced laptop on the planet.

If I would be getting a laptop this generation I would just relegate myself to looking for something with at best a 4070 and a 13900HX or better CPU but even that is not possible as when you want 18" and good memory and storage options there are no offers so far as all the 18" laptops only have 2 full 2280 slots it seems and 2 memory slots - they cannot even get that one right in their top of the line BGA books.

26 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Looks like the LED display and the 4090 together have now made the GT77 the most overpriced laptop on the planet.

If I would be getting a laptop this generation I would just relegate myself to looking for something with at best a 4070 and a 13900HX or better CPU but even that is not possible as when you want 18" and good memory and storage options there are no offers so far as all the 18" laptops only have 2 full 2280 slots it seems and 2 memory slots - they cannot even get that one right in their top of the line BGA books.

Yeah. I won't deny the performance increase is huge and I'm actually quite surprised by how big it is. But last gen was priced very high and they've now taken it up another (huge) notch. It's not really sustainable.

Didn't it used to be that performance increases would just come and you'd pay the previous gen price + a little more (inflation and what not)? Now they're trying to make you pay for these technological leaps. Perf is way up but perf/$ is close to the same. I'm going to guess Nvidia is the main culprit.

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

just highlighting the ridiculous absence of value there compared to desktops

i completely agree, i also feel the prices are outrageous and out of proportion,

for example at the time desktop rtx 4090 are available and selling at ballpark msrp $1500, i had to cough up over $2200 for a mobile 3080Ti, when i could have bought a 4090 with external enclosure and have change left for the price i paid for 3080Ti in a mobile chassis (though in due time it should be upgradeable for a hefty fee!),

i  just wanted base components that will be sufficient for the next few years  I finally went for it, i was on the fence the past few years and eventually had to make the move almost 6 months ago! as it happened my old faithful M3800 was on its last leg and i had to upgrade my 10 year old laptop, it ended up that i got bad unit after the other for a total of 7 units swapped across almost 6-7 months, it was just last month that my 30 day evaluation for this final unit completed, I love the unit and need a mobile station, i also have a strong desktop (though not as powerful now as the mobile 7770 is atm), 

to clarify i posted my price and spec for comparison, though outrageous it is in the same ballpark for top end mobile components, latest gen might be 10% more expensive initially but still not cheap either way,

Edit:

allot of the fuss with the new 40xx series seem to be related to DLSS3 and based on frames gained in specific games, i don't game though i might occasionally play bit, i use dGpu for code processing and other processes that are not game nor DLSS3 related, i am not yet convinced the gap is that big outside the promoted DLSS3 to warrant these new or old high prices for these components, also we should note that these gains are shown with new gen mobile cpu so true dGpu gains are artificial and somewhat obscured,

Edited by MyPC8MyBrain
  • Thumb Up 2

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

3 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

Edit:

allot of the fuss with the new 40xx series seem to be related to DLSS3 and based on frames gained in specific games, i don't game though i might occasionally play bit, i use dGpu for code processing and other processes that are not game nor DLSS3 related, i am not yet convinced the gap is that big outside the promoted DLSS3 to warrant these new or old high prices for these components, also we should note that these gains are shown with new gen mobile cpu so true dGpu gains are artificial and somewhat obscured,

A bit above in this thread there was a quote for a 23K+ Time Spy for the 4090 in the MSI GT77 - that is a very big upgrade in non-DLSS performance but who knows if Nvidia has done some behind doors shenanigans to drive up those numbers, too.

Probably best to test dirive one of them and test the stuff that one actually uses.

• Thumb Up 1

26 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

They should have just called it 4080 mobile. 

Then possibly later release a 200W+ solution based on the desktop 4090 chip and call it 4090 mobile.

Honesty, transparency and problem solved.

With the situation being as it is let's hope that as many reviewers as possible work together to really rub it in.

7 hours ago, Sniffy said:

Didn't it used to be that performance increases would just come and you'd pay the previous gen price + a little more (inflation and what not)? Now they're trying to make you pay for these technological leaps. Perf is way up but perf/$ is close to the same. I'm going to guess Nvidia is the main culprit.

This is indeed what Nvidia is trying to pull off - pay more for more performance is probably suppossed to be the new normal. I think Nvidia noticed what big of a leap they were making and they tried to capitalize on it.

Did not work out completely as now they are being called out for it - A LOT!  And that was just in the desktop space where the new cards are really very powerful but now in the laptop space their their decision to use smaller chips than in the desktop card with the same name coupled with anemic power limits is not perceived favorably out there - time to call a spade a spade. 

What does not help is that they are extremely stingy with memory in the mobile lineup. Instead of 8, 12 and 16 they should have gone for 12, 16 and 20 to 24 for the 4070, 4080 and 4090.

56 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

who knows if Nvidia has done some behind doors shenanigans to drive up those numbers, too.

Probably best to test dirive one of them and test the stuff that one actually uses.

This is precisely why, aside from the stress test, 3DMark is utterly worthless.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

11 hours ago, KING19 said:

4080 is barely faster than 3080Ti, which was already barely faster than 3080.

How is frame generation synonimous with 'great performance'? They're fake frames. I'd say that tech is nice when you have less than 60FPS, still wouldn't use it, and pretty pointless over 60FPS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

This is indeed what Nvidia is trying to pull off - pay more for more performance is probably suppossed to be the new normal. I think Nvidia noticed what big of a kleap they were making and they tried to capitalize on it.

Did not work out completely as bnow they are being called out for it - A LOT!  And that was just in the desktop space where the new cards are really very powerful but now in the laptop space their their decision to use smaller chips than in the desktop card with the same name coupled with anemic power limits is not perveived favorably out there - time to call a spade a spade. 

What does not help is that they are extremely stingy with memory in the mobile lineup. Instead of 8, 12 and 16 they should have gone for 12, 16 and 20 to 24 for the 4070, 4080 and 4090.

this might either interest you or anger you even more. 
gA41aJWRC0HYTkNV.jpgWrpzhhhzrFLj9I9q.jpgLbV8WYyI89GyChXM.jpg

12 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

this might either interest you or anger you even more. 
gA41aJWRC0HYTkNV.jpgWrpzhhhzrFLj9I9q.jpgLbV8WYyI89GyChXM.jpg

Not all games work that well with reduced power but it is possible that at 250W TGP the average performance would be around 90% across a wider variety of games.

Personally I am not affected as I would be happy with a 4060 or 4070 for what I do and I happen to think that save for too low memory the desktop cards aren't that bad either. It is just that the naming and the low power limits on laptops together with the skyrocketing prices rub me the wrong way, it is not the proper way to do things. 

7 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Not all games work that well with reduced power but it is possible that at 250W TGP the average performance would be around 90% across a wider variety of games.

And i might've just figured out why they didnt give mobile 3080 ga102 and 4090m ad1023889-pcb-front.jpg3888-pcb-front.jpg
It's a consequence of having big dies. Asus was able to do it. but only one time and it caused this result where there was barely any I/O also the entire screen was used for it so it could fit. image.thumb.png.c559708f1c15e658d637658f08ac8f32.png
image.png.c0b15f77f7fd986b2536a2c64c3a1731.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VEGGIM said:

And i might've just figured out why they didnt give mobile 3080 ga102 and 4090m ad1023889-pcb-front.jpg3888-pcb-front.jpg
It's a consequence of having big dies. Asus was able to do it. but only one time and it caused this result where there was barely any I/O also the entire screen was used for it so it could fit. image.thumb.png.c559708f1c15e658d637658f08ac8f32.png
image.png.c0b15f77f7fd986b2536a2c64c3a1731.png

You only have to look at the Clevo X170 for a traditional laptop design that was rated at 325W of cooling, the P870 went even well beyond 400W. There really is no reason for not dissipating more heat except for the manufacturer and Nvidia not wanting to go there.

When MSI can do 250W with traditional heat pipes in a super slim chassis (GT77) they could certainly make that design a bit bigger and thicker with an 18" screen and go to 300W+ with the added thickness and real estate. Weight would probably be somewhere between 8 1/4 to 9 1/2 lbs but I bet that enough people of the male variety who just carry their laptop from one place to another would not mind, especially when they also get a socketed Intel CPU and stacked NVME SSDs like HP does it. You only need on average about 5mm more height for all of that to happen.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, Papusan said:

@Mr. Fox What is revolutionary with a power delivery system that can deliver up to 250W combined power in laptops? This is even less than what the single 980 laptop graphics card from 2015 consume by its own when oc'd. 

MSI's New Gaming and Creator Laptops: A Quantum Leap in Performance and Aesthetics
https://www.notebookcheck.com/Die-neuen-Gaming-und-Creator-Laptops-von-MSI-Ein-Quantensprung-in-Leistung-und-AEsthetik.688417.0.html

MSI OverBoost Ultra technology in the Titan GT77 HX is a revolutionary power delivery system that can provide up to 250W of combined CPU and GPU power for unhindered gaming and productivity on the go.

It's so revolutionary that my Alienware Area 51m decided to time travel and steal this tech from the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I feel kinda bad. you guys are all dishing the 4090 but im actually thinking of saving up and getting a 4090 laptop and calling it good for 4 years. I don't want to upgrade every year but when you buy the xx60s cards you pretty much have to. the only thing saving my gpu for one more year is the fact I game at 1080p.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled