NotebookTalk

The Beast Returns - Alienware m18 - i9 13980HK 24c/RTX 4090 Mobile

ssj92

I heard the best thermal paste is the phase change pads by honeywell. if anyones interested in lower temps or at least testing out would be cool if you could tame the i9

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 4:54 PM, win32asmguy said:

I am thinking about trying to mod the bottom panel of my M18 to remove the stock honeycomb slats over the fans, so it removes the high pitched fan whistle. If I run the system with the bottom panel off, there is no whistle at any RPM. I also tried switching heatsinks so I think it is not the brand of fan causing the issue. I can pretty easily order a replacement panel spare part from Dell if I mess it up.

I'm thinking of this too but whatever mesh you put there as an alternative would still restrict airflow if you put it on a flat surface. If you look at the rubber(ish) border on the bottom, there are cutouts on the front and back which work as air "intakes" when the laptop is on a flat surface.

For now I've gone a different route, i took a 40x30cm board, put a layer of cork on top, and am using that on a laptop stand. Still the same airflow restriction but greatly reduces perceptible fan noise. And i can get it propped up. But definitely would like to improve this so that there is no restriction at all; i don't mind compromising portability because i only move it a couple times per year.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, ryan said:

I heard the best thermal paste is the phase change pads by honeywell. if anyones interested in lower temps or at least testing out would be cool if you could tame the i9

I think someone on Reddit already did it, and claimed much improved temps.  I have the PTM7950, but I already used LM on mine , so until that needs to be repasted again I am just holding off.  

Alienware M18R2 | i9 14900hx | RTX4090 | 64GB DDR5 

Alienware Area51m | i9 9900k | RTX2080 | 64GB DDR4

Alienware M15R5 | R9 5900hx | RTX3070 | 32GB DDR4

Alienware 17R4 | i7 7820HK | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR3 ( Dead, RIP )

Alienware Aurora R13 | i7 12700k | RTX3070Ti | 32GB DDR4

yeah I was suprised, What I saw was temps go from 90s to 60s and 70s. I guess alot of heat is dissipated when you go from a solid to a liquid

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

7 hours ago, ryan said:

yeah I was suprised, What I saw was temps go from 90s to 60s and 70s. I guess alot of heat is dissipated when you go from a solid to a liquid

Yeah a lot of heat is absorbed during state changes since additional energy is required to complete the state change. This is called the Enthalpy of Fusion (also known at the Heat of Fusion). You can have water be at 32°F (0°C) and exist as a liquid, or you can have ice at that same temperature. Melting the ice into water requires additional thermal energy to complete the state change.

The thermal pad once melted also flows into microscopic pits, displacing air pockets and therefore improving heat flow.

• Thanks 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

7 minutes ago, Clamibot said:

Yeah a lot of heat is absorbed during state changes since additional energy is required to complete the state change. This is called the Enthalpy of Fusion (also known at the Heat of Fusion). You can have water be at 32°F (0°C) and exist as a liquid, or you can have ice at that same temperature. Melting the ice into water requires additional thermal energy to complete the state change.

The thermal pad once melted also flows into microscopic pits, displacing air pockets and therefore improving heat flow.

Thanks for that info pretty smart guy you are. I took physics in school but forgot most of it lol. literally didnt use it even once. But when I was younger I really enjoyed it. I knew about phase changes but didn't know what it was called, and if I remember correctly(oxymoron incoming) we didn't learn that up here in canada but the jist was mentioned by the teacher.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled