NotebookTalk

PC Sales Up 9.6% Over 2019

Sandy Bridge

IDC has released their latest PC shipment numbers, showing 292.3 million units shipped in 2022.

This compares favorably with sales from the last pre-pandemic year, 2019, of 266.7 million units.

So, although the pandemic boom of 2020-2021 in PC sales has subsided, sales remain significantly higher than they were pre-pandemic.  Manufacturers surely wished the boom had continued indefinitely, but "what goes up must come down" as they say, and happily for the PC industry the sales appear to have come down to a higher level than where they started.

---

Of note, at a meta level, this is in part a post pointing out the folly of comparing statistics from the pandemic years to statistics in "normal" years.  A lot of articles are saying, "PC shipments fell in 2022 compared to 2020 and 2021", but that's like saying "U.S. defense spending fell in 1946 compared to 1944 and 1945."  I think it's a lot more useful to look at the data when there aren't extreme situations skewing it - how's it compare to historical averages, rather than how does it compare to times when there was something that we all know was highly unusual going on?

From that "historical averages" standpoint, we can see that the PC industry appears to be shipping quite a few units still.  Maybe there's still a little bit of pandemic boom carryover, and maybe manufacturers over-invested in production capacity that is now being under-utilized, but overall demand looks to be pretty healthy.

• Thumb Up 3

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

3 hours ago, Reciever said:

I think it will remain higher, a lot of schools started adopting chrome books for class work and many of those contracts are still being filled. 

This...

Though, my area is given these cheap Dell latitudes. Better than Chromebooks, but I hate getting slips for when I use my G14 over the POS Latitudes they give us... 

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

1 hour ago, Tenoroon said:

This...

Though, my area is given these cheap Dell latitudes. Better than Chromebooks, but I hate getting slips for when I use my G14 over the POS Latitudes they give us... 

There all bottom tier systems, none are worth producing in the first place let alone expect it to replace a traditional education system. 

Even when I went to vocational school I used my own system as theirs was garbage. I learned later I could've had the same education for 1/10th the price. 

But yes, Dell has some huge contracts with schools now. Medical, defense, government and now education. 

• Hands 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 8:32 PM, Reciever said:

There all bottom tier systems, none are worth producing in the first place let alone expect it to replace a traditional education system. 

Even when I went to vocational school I used my own system as theirs was garbage. I learned later I could've had the same education for 1/10th the price. 

But yes, Dell has some huge contracts with schools now. Medical, defense, government and now education. 

My son has a Lenovo chromebook for school.  It's an ok build system, but Chrome OS is BRUTAL.  The worst OS I have ever used.  Poor kids.  Microsoft should have nipped that in the butt before it ever got where it is now. Chrome should never had been used for an education system...or any other system for that matter. Microsoft should have had a deal with the makers for a cheap pc to run windows 10E...education...

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

2 hours ago, kojack said:

My son has a Lenovo chromebook for school.  It's an ok build system, but Chrome OS is BRUTAL.  The worst OS I have ever used.  Poor kids.  Microsoft should have nipped that in the butt before it ever got where it is now. Chrome should never had been used for an education system...or any other system for that matter. Microsoft should have had a deal with the makers for a cheap pc to run windows 10E...education...

They dont want teachers teaching how to use Windows OS to younger kids and ChromeOS is "easier" to manage since its done via cloud, idea is to keep the teachers teaching that they are geared towards I guess.

Microsofts policies on replacements are the same as Chromebook's, replace, only more expensive.

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, kojack said:

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 1/12/2023 at 7:02 PM, Reciever said:

Agreed, and mid-high end systems are probably going to take a dive due to economy.

14 hours ago, Reciever said:

They dont want teachers teaching how to use Windows OS to younger kids and ChromeOS is "easier" to manage since its done via cloud, idea is to keep the teachers teaching that they are geared towards I guess.

Microsofts policies on replacements are the same as Chromebook's, replace, only more expensive.

I know most kids have cell phones these days, but the idea of data mining off minors' browsing history, searches, not to mention they have an exact profile name, address, age, school, demographics, audio, photos, and social group. It always seemed a bit creepy. At least with microsoft you can turn it off.

6 hours ago, SapphiraTriX298 said:

Agreed, and mid-high end systems are probably going to take a dive due to economy.

I know most kids have cell phones these days, but the idea of data mining off minors' browsing history, searches, not to mention they have an exact profile name, address, age, school, demographics, audio, photos, and social group. It always seemed a bit creepy. At least with microsoft you can turn it off.

Also, they will know how to use the software 99.9% of workplaces use in everday business.  I have never heard of any businesses running on ChromeOS.  Most use windows in day to day operations, and a scattered graphics company etc will use mac. I know the local pet store, when it first opened used iMacs, cool hardware, nice looking and all...then, they stopped getting software and OS updates, he moved to PC and now has no worries about software and OS level updates.  He's been using the PC systems now for 8 years and had mac for 3 before that before moving. 

As I always say...the world runs on windows, lone wolf graphics/etc runs on apple. Even large graphics/studios/etc are running PCs and windows.  The power of the intel / graphics cards for pumping out stuff fast and quick is far ahead of M series. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses