NotebookTalk

Precision 5540 Owner's Thread

6730b

For all the world's 3 users of 5540, starting this topic in case someone someday got something to write :O)

In my case, excellent & solid machine. SH 2020 model at a good price. 2 years in my use with no problems (apart from a tired battery. Ref. my earlier posts, use only original Dell !).
Edit: 3 years 3 months in use, still a very satisfying, stable, solid machine.

One thing I'd one day look into, boot time (on > bios > bitlocker pw > desktop) somewhat slower than expected (but does not really matter, am generally hibernating = quick off\on). Keyboard is fine, apart from strong light bleed in front of keys when not viewed from optimal position.

Superb 500+ nits matte display (main reason for buying) perfect for my image editing work. Machine fast enough for anything I do or plan doing. Tends to get quite hot when cpu\gpu stressed, but minimal heat and completely silent under all my normal\daily use.

i7-9850H
Sharp SHP16BA display
Samsung 980 1TB, Seagate 1TB
W10 LTSC + O&O ShutUp

• Thumb Up 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

• 1 year later...

Finally got the Dell Power Manager app to install (after x years and x failed attempts > "not compatible with your operating system" install roll backs (w10 ltsc 1809). Tried earlier app versions and lots of other possible workarounds, to no avail.

Just recently had another go, digging the net for users reporting similar install fails, came over a reddit post stating that "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" must run, for unknown reason disabled in my setup. Miracle, Power app installed and working.

That install fail was a recurring irritation on an otherwise perfect pc+os combination. The app may prove usefull or not, wahtever, very satisfying getting that install success, also dispelled doubts about ltsc having compatibilty problems.

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi! Did you ever had any issues charging this PC with USB-C/Thunderbolt?

Internet is littered with issues and the one I have just bought (very good price and will probably use as the main laptop now) has exactly the same issue:

- Charging through barrel jack works fine

- charging through USB-C/Thunderbolt says it is OK, but battery is going down, no power is taken from the supplied source (USB-C PC 100W charger, WB19 thunderbolt dock with 240W adapter connected). No issues with dock functionality, just no charging.

I suspect that there is an issue with the thunderbolt/USB-C muxer that somehow is dying and/or connector itself.

Hello, am not using a dock or high W usb chargers, so can't provide any specific info.

Am sometimes charging with some low W Samsung phone chargers directly to usb-c, works. Charges slowly but reliably, and laptop needs to be off. Starting up the laptop the charging (correctly) stops, and resumes as soon as the laptop is turned off.

Make some tests with different usb-c chargers \ cables directly to 5540 usb-c, and it may be 'something' with the dock, it's communication \ interface \ setup. I'd 'guess' the 100 W charger you mentionned 'should' manage to charge correctly with 5540 on and off, but it could still be too low W's, and charge only with 5540 off. Also could be as simple as bad \ wrong usb-c cable, high W's needs compatible \ quality cables. And make sure all relevant drivers are installed \ updated.

Stand with ua.jpg

4 hours ago, jdanecki said:

Hi! Did you ever had any issues charging this PC with USB-C/Thunderbolt?

Internet is littered with issues and the one I have just bought (very good price and will probably use as the main laptop now) has exactly the same issue:

- Charging through barrel jack works fine

- charging through USB-C/Thunderbolt says it is OK, but battery is going down, no power is taken from the supplied source (USB-C PC 100W charger, WB19 thunderbolt dock with 240W adapter connected). No issues with dock functionality, just no charging.

I suspect that there is an issue with the thunderbolt/USB-C muxer that somehow is dying and/or connector itself.

It's not a 5540, but I tried charging via USB-C on the Precision 7540 with a 100W GaN charger from Ugreen and it's not supported.

I thought it was a problem with both USB-C ports, but I tried charging via the USB-C port on the Dell P2723QE monitor (USB-C Hub 90W) and it worked perfectly.

It's probably some deliberate blocking by Dell only being compatible with their devices.