NotebookTalk

Egpu case with HDD space included?

kojack

I am wondering is there an egpu enclosure that also has a slot for HDD storage as well?  this would be great for my use for content creation on the road in hotels and cottages. I could hook up to the egpu with my notebook and have much more power for resolve.  Then store on a nice large HDD in the enclosure. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 5:03 AM, kojack said:

I am wondering is there an egpu enclosure that also has a slot for HDD storage as well?  this would be great for my use for content creation on the road in hotels and cottages. I could hook up to the egpu with my notebook and have much more power for resolve.  Then store on a nice large HDD in the enclosure. 

Maybe not within, but certainly could have a USB powered 5TB drive affixed outside or perhaps modded to sit within (but still connected via USB)

• Thumb Up 1

6 hours ago, Reciever said:

Maybe not within, but certainly could have a USB powered 5TB drive affixed outside or perhaps modded to sit within (but still connected via USB)

That would be ideal however if someone made one with the drive internally.  Great for people who work at creative work on location. Have the power of a desktop GPU in their hotel, camper etc without the huge PC being dragged around with them, not to mention the monitor etc.  Marques Brownlee used to take a 27" imac pro with him on location to edit his video while there. I think a laptop with TB support and a egpu would be a much better solution. 

The only eGPU enclosure with a 2.5in HDD/SSD spot is this. Seems choice is really limited and Mantiz seems to be the only maker that does this.

• Thumb Up 2

Dell Precision 7540 (Delta fans equipped) | Not in use: HP Elitebook 8470P, ThinkPad X131e, ThinkPad T61, Dell Precision M4800 (dead), HP Zbook 15 G2

Thanks.  That's a nice one. It would work, but I was hoping for a 3.5 " drive bay for 18tb drive.  BUTTTTTT that will work with a large spinny drive. 

4 minutes ago, kojack said:

Thanks.  That's a nice one. It would work, but I was hoping for a 3.5 " drive bay for 18tb drive.  BUTTTTTT that will work with a large spinny drive. 

Dug around a bit more, and there's definitely one that allows a 3.5in drive. I don't know if the EG200 is still being made though.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Dell Precision 7540 (Delta fans equipped) | Not in use: HP Elitebook 8470P, ThinkPad X131e, ThinkPad T61, Dell Precision M4800 (dead), HP Zbook 15 G2

1 hour ago, Kitje said:

Dug around a bit more, and there's definitely one that allows a 3.5in drive. I don't know if the EG200 is still being made though.

That's awesome.  Exactly what I am looking for.  I googled for months and found nothing.  The EG200 is the ideal one. I will just add a handle to carry it from rig to cabin/tent/hotel room and I will be set. 

• Thumb Up 1

23 minutes ago, kojack said:

That's awesome.  Exactly what I am looking for.  I googled for months and found nothing.  The EG200 is the ideal one. I will just add a handle to carry it from rig to cabin/tent/hotel room and I will be set. 

Part of me says if I'd be traveling alot with a eGPU dock like this, I wouldn't be using mechanical drives in it at all. I'd be worried about it slipping:

image.thumb.png.da018097f4fd0971de63ebe009d63f97.png

• Thumb Up 1