NotebookTalk

Thinkpad T430 need help getting second HDD/SSD to be recognized in optical bay

K4sum1

I have an Icy Dock MB511SPO-B that works as a hot swap bay in the optical drive. I would like to use it in my T430, but it just doesn't get any power, any hard drive doesn't spin up in it.

I've tested it in another laptop and it works just fine. Powering the T430 on with it in doesn't work. Booting with DVD drive, then swapping also doesn't work.

However I can get it to work if I boot into BIOS with DVD drive, swap in bay, and then quit without saving. The BIOS still sees the DVD drive when it posts again but it works just fine within Windows. I'd rather not do this every time I start the laptop so is there any other way to get it working?

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

• 5 months later...

I'm pretty late to the party on this, but I haven't really heard of this particular dock. As it looks like this is trying to emulate a hot-swap bay on top of the ThinkPad's Ultrabay(which IIRC is already hot-swappable) it might not like that particular combination. If you're still looking for a working bay for this application, I'd suggest either an original Lenovo drive bay or a third-party one. Some of them are pretty cheap, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bfenown-Replacement-Thinkpad-Internal-Optical/dp/B07VMG2CL5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Thinkpad+T430+hard+drive+bay&qid=1690569120&sr=8-3

That bay is a generic common model with the Thinkpad drive stuffs screwed into it. It has a switch that you need to flip for it to work in Thinkpads. This bay has no such switch.

Also it doesn't emulate a hot-swap bay. It requires the laptop to support it. My previous 8770W didn't.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti