NotebookTalk

Let's make it a good one (Share your experiences)

SapphiraTriX298

Many years ago, when XP was still relevant and 7 was still young, I was a young kid, new to forums, interested in gaming computers. I needed information and landed on a site known as the NotebookReviewForum.

I didn't understand what exactly a forum was, how to use it, what bumping was, why posts appeared on the bottom instead of the top. Definition of the awkward new kid. But people were helpful, patient, and friendly. They explained things when I didn't understand and answered questions.

Following recommendations on the forum I upgraded some components and tried to sell them in the marketplace. This was well before the 3 month, 100 post requirement existed.

Some troll decided to give me a hard time under my post (again, when things were a bit looser then and people could and did reply under ads).

I didn't know what to do, didn't know what trolls were, maybe the criticism was correct, I was young and froze.

Another Forum-member whose name I don't recall, PM'd me out of the blue, probably the first PM I ever received, and said "Hey, don't let them s*** on your post." and then something along the lines of 'Stand up for yourself' or 'Let somebody know.'

So I did. Never tried to talk to a mod before, but I PM'd one, in a probably overly-considerate/polite way. Next thing I knew, the troll's post disappeared, slapped along with a 3 day ban, there was a new warning on the forums about inappropriate commenting on posts, and I got a one word PM from the Mod, "Done." Maybe that forum-member also reported the troll, maybe not, but they did make sure I knew I could and should.

The community was really good. It took care of me when I could have crumpled, taught me a lot of things, including how to stand up for myself within the context of a forum. As a result, I dove into the hobby, built, bought, and sold

As the spiritual successor, let's make this a good one.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SapphiraTriX298 said:

Many years ago, when XP was still relevant and 7 was still young, I was a young kid, new to forums, interested in gaming computers. I needed information and landed on a site known as the NotebookReviewForum.

I didn't understand what exactly a forum was, how to use it, what bumping was, why posts appeared on the bottom instead of the top. Definition of the awkward new kid. But people were helpful, patient, and friendly. They explained things when I didn't understand and answered questions.

Following recommendations on the forum I upgraded some components and tried to sell them in the marketplace. This was well before the 3 month, 100 post requirement existed.

Some troll decided to give me a hard time under my post (again, when things were a bit looser then and people could and did reply under ads).

I didn't know what to do, didn't know what trolls were, maybe the criticism was correct, I was young and froze.

Another Forum-member whose name I don't recall, PM'd me out of the blue, probably the first PM I ever received, and said "Hey, don't let them s*** on your post." and then something along the lines of 'Stand up for yourself' or 'Let somebody know.'

So I did. Never tried to talk to a mod before, but I PM'd one, in a probably overly-considerate/polite way. Next thing I knew, the troll's post disappeared, slapped along with a 3 day ban, there was a new warning on the forums about inappropriate commenting on posts, and I got a one word PM from the Mod, "Done." Maybe that forum-member also reported the troll, maybe not, but they did make sure I knew I could and should.

The community was really good. It took care of me when I could have crumpled, taught me a lot of things, including how to stand up for myself within the context of a forum. As a result, I dove into the hobby, built, bought, and sold

As the spiritual successor, let's make this a good one.

I don't think anyone here is a true Ahole....some heated discussions do happen from time to time (this is a hobby for passionate people) but nothing we couldn't agree to disagree and shake hands on (or just ignore).

I have used other forums and got sick of the vitriol, political infighting or agenda's some people had (including NBR at times).

But as you have already learnt, treat people as you would like to be treated.

I like NBT and the people here and will continue to frequent as long as I'm welcome.

So yes I'm with you! Let's make it good :classic_biggrin:

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

• 1 month later...

This place is always great for information, positive or not.  You will always learn here.  Enjoy everyone!

• Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses