NotebookTalk

Forget Intel Lunar Lake, Nova Lake on the Way

Sandy Bridge

We used to have a tradition of threads speculating about the performance of future generations of processors.  Alas, the member who posted most of those threads moved on over five years ago, and, well, the performance improvements had been mediocre for awhile before that.

In that spirit, I've decided to open a thread about Intel's potential 2025 architecture.  Yes, it's skipping a few generations ahead, but just read the rumors:

Nova Lake (Panther Cove [tentative]/ Darkmont) 2025 – This will mark the biggest architectural change in CPU architecture since the Core architecture is introduced in 2006. Intel is working to build entirely new architecture from the ground up much like Ryzen with up to 50% CPU performance improvement from the lunar lake. This is also the reason why Glenn Hinton returned.

Who knows whether it will pan our as such, but don't you want that biggest architectural improvement since Core, and as big of performance gains as Ryzen?  Isn't it worth planning your next upgrade for that?

50% chance those plans change entirely over the next three years, and I doubt this thread will have much to discuss for quite a while.  But if things to pan out, chances are we'll be discussing it earlier than most forums.

(Feel free to start threads for other more near-term architectures such as Raptor Lake as well)

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

I'd definitely take a huge IPC increase. I love my single core performance.

Nova Lake's IPC is going to be a huge jump over my current 10900K. I'd imagine you'd be able to brute force your way to 144 fps in anything with that kind of performance.

• Thumb Up 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!